autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

WG Uber Ceramic + Purple Haze...

...on a black car, 2016 WRX.

Kinda like it...

WG Twins, Uber Ceramic and Dodo Juice Purple Haze Hopefully gives me the durability of the ceramic with the deep, dark look of the Purple Haze. Will have to re-apply the Purple Haze every month or so but it's so easy to use, not a concern. Crappy cell-phone pics do not capture the glory of the shine...my phone takes lousy pics. The depth, clarity and shine is really quite amazing to me, anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WG Uber Ceramic + Purple Haze...-1466419030820-jpg   WG Uber Ceramic + Purple Haze...-1466419044091-jpg   WG Uber Ceramic + Purple Haze...-1466419054972-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WG Uber Ceramic + Purple Haze...

Great job!
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Ive read somewhere, thats its not a good idea to wax over a ceramic coating, as it suffocates the coating so to speak and diminishes its longetivity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Ive read somewhere, thats its not a good idea to wax over a ceramic coating, as it suffocates the coating so to speak and diminishes its longetivity?
    Opinions vary but is generally accepted that topping a coating is unnecessary and will mask the visual effects of the coating, replacing them with the visual characteristics of whatever you top it with.

Given that final color, clarity and gloss is largely determined by the paint prep, beauty of waxes, sealants and coatings is very subjective. And, many times (probably like me above w/ Purple Haze) the topping appearance is sometimes 'Wishful Thinking' and also due to the fact that a freshly waxed car always looks better than what you remembered your 'clean' car looked like prior to topping.

In any event, it's something I enjoy and topping likely doesn't affect the durability and protection afforded by the underlying coating.

FWIW, the Purple Haze has worn off and been replaced by WG Fuzion (black 2016 WRX) and Kamikaze Overcoat (2004 black Corvette). Of course, I think it looks better than before...but ya know how that goes. I will say, however, that the Kamikaze Overcoat really seems to have changed some of the visual characteristics on the Corvette; after application Saturday, I thought "I guess it looks better..." but when I pulled it out a day later it looks like someone coated it in glossy liquid glass...dunno, maybe it needed curing time or something. Feels really, really, REALLY slick too.

In the end, I guess it may change the looks, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse (depending on your preferences), maybe not at all. But for me, its entertaining to chase that one last iota of gloss/clarity...Right up until wife maims me when yet another box shows up at the door. Geez, some folks just don't get it...

Oh yeah, once the coating cures (been two months for our cars) I really don't think there is any physical hindrance to underlying coating...

And it's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about. After being a Zaino Zealot since 2004 I only recently got involved with Auto-Geekish level stuff... so still trying to figure it all out and have some fun.