autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing tape residue - help!!

Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    This is why I never ever use tape. I never mask anything. It causes more harm than good.
    I agree.

Especially I the summer - it's a sticky mess.

Honestly, if you bump something rubber and it turns part of the pad black - it won't effect anything. Just clean the pad with a pad brush.

How to get rid of it? You will remove the wax. I use mineral spirits on a cheap MF towel wrapped around my finger.

I wouldn't use WD40. It's meant to leave something behind (grease). Mineral spirits are 100% volatile.

Post Thanks / Like

WD40 is not greasy at all..... it probably does leave some sort of residue, but, I cannot verify that..... it's a drying type agent and leaves NO lubrication at all.

Alcohol wipe down would be my first suggestion.... but, please take that with a grain of salt as I'm not very knowledgeable except alcohol totally dissipates and leaves NO residue.
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

I use (since I have a lot of it in gallon cans) either Naptha or Odorless Mineral Spirits. Neither one will harm the paint surface. Both will dissolve the glue. I have found both to work great for decal sticker removal too. I dribble a little along the top of the decal and slowly peel it off. Most of the time all the glue comes with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    WD40 is not greasy at all..... it probably does leave some sort of residue, but, I cannot verify that..... it's a drying type agent and leaves NO lubrication at all.

Alcohol wipe down would be my first suggestion.... but, please take that with a grain of salt as I'm not very knowledgeable except alcohol totally dissipates and leaves NO residue.
    I had this problem last night with Duck brand painter's tape that is listed as a great tape for outdoor use including cars. It left a tremendously sticky residue that scratched my paint while wiping after polishing. WD-40 uses Petroleum oil as one of its ingredients so it will leave "something" behind. The consistency of wd-40 is enough to prove that and according to the MSDS sheet on the website, its number one product use is "Lubricant".

That said OP, I used goop hand cleaner. I mistakenly discovered that it is great for removing tree sap. I contacted the company and was told that it is paint safe. It cleaned the tape residue off but left something so I used IPA to wipe it after.

IPA was not effective for me in removing the residue with ease. I will probably stop taping off sections because the lines, residue and difficult removal process ruins the experience for me. Hopefully you got it off OP!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12