autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wrist & Back Pain

For your wrist, does it hurt when its at rest? If yes, I would try to stop any activity that irritates it until you can roll your wrists in the sockets without any pain. Once the inflammation is out, you can start to stretch them. Look on youtube for "Gymnastic wrist warm ups". They will be your best bet to help lengthen and loosen your wrists. There really isn't any wrist strengthening that I would do. Just get them loose and that should help you out.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I had back pain when I first started. I got a mechanic's seat so I could sit down doing sides of vehicles and also while doing wheels. That pretty much resolved it for me.

As for wrists, I have arthritis like symptoms, that precede my detailing career, doctors don't know what I have, it's not arthritis but symptoms are the same. That being said, detailing has not made it any worse for me. I do low volume, about 2 clients per week and I have a part time job as well so I work on average 5-6 days a week. My advice would be to get a brush attachment for either a drill or a DA so you can scrub carpets and seats without having to use a hand brush. Other than that, maybe go to medical forums and ask advice there. I don't know if wrist support bands or any other device could help but it's worth looking into it.

On very bad days I use Ibuprofen to cut the inflammation and pain down. Any NSAID should help with that but I feel Ibuprofen works best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I had back pain when I first started. I got a mechanic's seat so I could sit down doing sides of vehicles and also while doing wheels. That pretty much resolved it for me.

As for wrists, I have arthritis like symptoms, that precede my detailing career, doctors don't know what I have, it's not arthritis but symptoms are the same. That being said, detailing has not made it any worse for me. I do low volume, about 2 clients per week and I have a part time job as well so I work on average 5-6 days a week. My advice would be to get a brush attachment for either a drill or a DA so you can scrub carpets and seats without having to use a hand brush. Other than that, maybe go to medical forums and ask advice there. I don't know if wrist support bands or any other device could help but it's worth looking into it.

On very bad days I use Ibuprofen to cut the inflammation and pain down. Any NSAID should help with that but I feel Ibuprofen works best for me.
    Sounds like fibromyalgia.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wn1998 View Post
    As a gym owner, I would work on mobility (yoga) and strengthening your back. I have trained hundreds of 30-50 year olds that have told me they have "back problems" make great progress stretching and strengthening. If you haven't done much in the last year or so, mobility (stretching) is much more effective than weight training. once you get the mobility back in your hamstrings, hips and shoulders, then you can move on to strengthening. I would bet your back pain could be gone in 12 weeks or so with a proper trainer.
    Agreed. Stretching and core strengthening exercises! I have been in the fitness industry for 17 years. I regularly find issues regarding muscle instability with clients. I'm a Master Trainer.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a thin but very fit guy, and my core is one of my strong points. However, my lower back feels like it may be a weak point.

Oh, and I have a GG 6" and a Cyclo, so I may have to look into a scrub brush head
    My Mobile Detailing Business- www.PrimeAutoDetailing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StealthXJ View Post
    I am a thin but very fit guy, and my core is one of my strong points. However, my lower back feels like it may be a weak point.

Oh, and I have a GG 6" and a Cyclo, so I may have to look into a scrub brush head
    Your lower lumbar is part of your core. Do some back extensions, planks, or deadlifts to strengthen it.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of great points being offered here.

The brushes for your DA's are a great option to avoid the crazy scrubbing and stress put on your wrists. That should help a ton.

As for your lower back, I totally understand what you're going through. I'm 6'4 and have had issues with my lower back since high school (I have a herniated & bulging disc stacked on top of eachother in my lumbar spine). Although your core might seem strong, doing some additional core work or even yoga as others have mentioned would do wonders for you. I never had my back issues surgically corrected so physical therapy when it was first found and plenty of core work have made almost all of my pain subside and full range of motion to restore. I often find myself bending with my back instead of doing it from my hips. This "hunched" over posture will also cause pain to flare up... just be aware of how you're bending.

Another thing to keep in mind is making sure you're well hydrated throughout the day. This will ensure that the bursa's designed to lubricate and cushion your joints and junctions between tendons and ligaments have enough liquid to continue to do their job.

Lastly, I will sometimes look to supplementation to offer help. In addition to my back I have had chronic knee issues and have tried a TON of different "joint" supplements to help alleviate some of the pain. The only one that has worked for me (and many others it has seemed) is iForce Nutrition's Joint Help. Totally blows away the typical glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements I have taken in the past. I would imagine this could help your wrist problem as well.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    Sounds like fibromyalgia.

I thought so too but Fibromyalgia doesn't cause inflammation, and I do get inflammation of the joints. It is not constant but sometimes my joint will get really inflamed and I can barely bend that joint when that happens. Annoying to say the least

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I thought so too but Fibromyalgia doesn't cause inflammation, and I do get inflammation of the joints. It is not constant but sometimes my joint will get really inflamed and I can barely bend that joint when that happens. Annoying to say the least
    Gout?

Post Thanks / Like

Just try to stay strong, I always try to workout 2-3 a week, helps everything heal up quicker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast