autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gauge cluster help?

Hey! I ran into a tricky situation today and i don't know how to resolve the problem. The gauge cluster looks like some kind of liquid was spilled on it over on one half only. I've tried Sonax Glass Cleaner and Meguiar's Quik Detailer but both of those options did not get rid of the problem.

It looks like someone spat out their drink on the gauge cluster and the liquid dripped down all the way and left a couple of streaks.

When trying both methods, the liquid looking stain is gone but once the plastic(?) gauge dries up is where the liquid stain comes back. It goes from dirty to squeaky clean then back to dirty. I've tried multiple times going back and forth with the cleaning solution but it's still not really helping.

What could be the problem, could it be fogged, could it be stained from the inside of the plastic somehow?

The car is my parents, they neglected it until i came in and tried to clean their car haha.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gauge cluster help?

It's possible the stain is on the inside of the plastic where you aren't able to clean it. If it really is etched you could try polishing it with something like M205 or Plast-X by hand.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    It's possible the stain is on the inside of the plastic where you aren't able to clean it. If it really is etched you could try polishing it with something like M205 or Plast-X by hand.
    ditto with the softest cloth or material you have.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I've used polish many times in the past, or try some plastic lens polish
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Nice, my local Walmart has it surprisingly. I'll give it a try, it's only $11 @ 71c/fl oz. There's no way the stain could get inside like that right? I don't see any point of entry that let's a liquid get through. It's only the plastic cover that is stained, but the actual gauge still looks news.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    ditto with the softest cloth or material you have.
    I mainly have MF cloths, is that sufficient or do i need something else?

Post Thanks / Like

I was cleaning a girlfriend's truck and she had a terrible mess. A baby that was on her lap (while parked) barfed right into the instrument cluster.

I removed the cluster from the dash, disassembled the front plastic lens and washed it in warm water with dishsoap and a MF cloth. The inside of the dash I was able to clean with the same wet MF.

Then I polished the plastic lens with the two stage Meguiar's cleaning compounds for plastic. It ended up looking like new again.

Post Thanks / Like

if you're going to polish by hand, try using a mild polish. i wouldn't use plast-x on sensitive soft plastics, IME it leaves some marring...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't.

I use Meguiars #17 & #10 plastic polish and cleaner. They removed every trace of surface scratching left by people wiping the plastic with Kleenex or a paper towel.

http://www.autogeek.net/meg1710botpr.html