autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Went a little crazy with the pressure washer on wheels.

Hello,

I posted this on the Audi forum, but didn't get much of a response. Not sure if it matters, but they are 19" OEM Audi wheels. Yesterday I was pressure washing the inside of my wheels that were almost pitch black from all the brake dust. The pressure washerworked fantastic for that, but then I got carried away. I pressure washed the front of the wheels, which also worked fantastic, but a little too fantastic. Luckily I only did it to two wheels. One wheel is very minor, and the other I would call mild/moderate damage. Basically it took some of the finish off of the lip of the wheel. I have included a picture of the wheels I have, although I could not find a paint code online anywhere. I have read that others have used silver Toyota touch up paint for Audi wheels, but I would like a little more advice before I go down that route. I may just buy some of that paint and try it on a small area if I can't find an exact paint match. I’m hoping I can find some paint and use an air brushto paint over the small spaces that need refinishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Went a little crazy with the pressure washer on wheels.-w58896s-jpg

I can provide pictures of my actual wheels showing the damage if you guys think it would be beneficial.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Went a little crazy with the pressure washer on wheels.

Dosent surprise me . I've seen paint stripped off before ,particularly with high pressure machines. I would take the rims in to a wheel repair shop they will fix it, likely cheaper than buying new

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by postaltwo View Post
    Dosent surprise me . I've seen paint stripped off before ,particularly with high pressure machines. I would take the rims in to a wheel repair shop they will fix it, likely cheaper than buying new
    The damage isn't really noticeable enough to warrant spending $100-$150 per wheel to have it professionally repaired. If I can find correct paint, it shouldn't be too difficult to do with an air brush. Just looking for solutions other than professional repair or replacing wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that Wurth Silver paint is no longer a "one size fits all" for German wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

what PSI was the pressure washer you were using?
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zarmstrong92 View Post
    I read that Wurth Silver paint is no longer a "one size fits all" for German wheels?
    That may be, but paint codes (and touch-up paint) are impossible to find for wheels, as you have already found. Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen this personally on paint and read about it on various forums. If you get too close with the pressure nozzle on painted body panels, alloys or other wheels, trim, plastic, glass...you may do damage to them.

I stay 1-2 feet from all body panels.

How close did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering if those wheels were already "refinished" by the mobile dealer wheel guy. Have you had the wheels since new?

I had "dealer dude" refinish my wheels (was a freebee paid for by dealership) and the clear coat peeled off within a month. Then I paid to have them done right.

Factory wheels are powder coated - which is significantly tougher than paint sprayed from a gun. Of course, something could have went wrong with the factory powder coating process.

Pressure washers are very safe for factory wheels... Assuming this is an electric pressure washer and not some 4000 psi gas monster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done this, luckily it was on my friends beater, so ever since then i have learned from that.

I now no longer try to do alot of cleaning with the pressure washer, i just keep it about 4 feet away get obvious lose dirt, and do the majority of cleaning with soap/tools.

The pressure washer isnt going to get the tire/wheel 100% clean if really dirty anyway.

Be happy it was just the wheels and not the paint, now you know to reapect the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast