autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any online video classes worth it?

Noob here. Currently a Fedex driver, looking to start mobile detailing part-time. Are any of these online classes worth a damn? I've ordered the Renny Doyle book and bookmarked many articles on here. I am a good self learner, but if an online class is good I am willing to fork over some cash for it. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any online video classes worth it?

Take any classes you can, I go to classes at least once a year and we have been in business 17 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums.

There are plenty of good video you can look at on youtube.

Here are a few to get you started:

Mike Philipps has several on the Autogeek channel. His are usually short and will give you a good understanding of the process without going into too much detail. I think they are best to start the learning process and wrap you head around the various concepts. https://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek/videos

Junkman has a lot of excellent video taking you every single step of a process. I have yet to find better technical videos. He is a bit long winded but the information is great. I also like the way he looks at things in general. https://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000

There are plenty of others but with just those 2 you have 100s of hours of solid information.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

^This. I just started out last year and watched a lot of different vids to get ideas of what processes to use. I'm not sure about the online classes, but a "hands on" class would be the best way to learn. You'll find what works best for you and your situation through trial and error with hands on practice.

What kind of work are you looking to do?

Of course we all want to do high end details, but it takes time to build a customer base, and most common people just want "clean and shiny". Start off with the basics and build from there.

A very small percentage of my jobs are paint corrections. Most are just heavily used dailly drivers, family sedans, SUVs, and minivans, where the main focus is the interior. All you really HAVE to have for them is a good vacuum, some brushes, and the proper cleaners. Extractors, an air compresser, and steamers may help speed up the process, but you can get great result without them for now.

I you have the cash to pick up a DA polisher and pads(lots of pads), you can start by practicing on family and friends cars.

Post Thanks / Like

The only negative I found working on Friends and family cars is that you do such a good job they want to call you again. I love detailing just can't do it for a living. Takes me way too long to do one car :-)

This forum has a crap load of knowledge.. Mike phillips has a ton of free articles as well as videos on this site that are well worth it. I believe there some sort of show that comes on the velocity channel called competition ready..

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about paid online classes. As mentioned, there are many videos on the AG site to watch. Any DVD Mike has produced is outstanding. Also, his books are excellent. Renny's book is great to from the perspective of running a business.

And lastly, if you can afford it, and you really want to get great hands on experience, Mike's Competition Ready 3 days classes are very in depth and outstanding.

Mike not only knows more about detailing and paint polishing than almost anyone, he also excels out being able to teach and explain his knowledge, as you can see by his posts on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Man, Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, I don't know that any online classes are worth the expense because the basics of detailing a "car" are evaluation and process. To me evaluation means, what condition is the car in and what is your customer expecting? Process includes: a method of washing, polishing or paint cleaning, wax/sealant/coating. Finally, how much time are you willing to invest in the project and at what cost. All of that can be found in this forum, in one form or another. Sometimes guys into arguments over process and products but that's because they're passionate; it's all good. YouTube has any number of videos that show you techniques and methods. What online classes and YouTube cannot do is the hands on thing. If at all possible, go the Mike's training in Stuart. Having an expert show you, talk you through it, and walk you through it is the best way. If nothing else, find a local detailer and ask them if they can spend some time with you. I started locally with a couple of amazing detailers and went to the earlier version of Mike's class- and it was fantastic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    ^This. I just started out last year and watched a lot of different vids to get ideas of what processes to use. I'm not sure about the online classes, but a "hands on" class would be the best way to learn. You'll find what works best for you and your situation through trial and error with hands on practice.

What kind of work are you looking to do?

Of course we all want to do high end details, but it takes time to build a customer base, and most common people just want "clean and shiny". Start off with the basics and build from there.

A very small percentage of my jobs are paint corrections. Most are just heavily used dailly drivers, family sedans, SUVs, and minivans, where the main focus is the interior. All you really HAVE to have for them is a good vacuum, some brushes, and the proper cleaners. Extractors, an air compresser, and steamers may help speed up the process, but you can get great result without them for now.

I you have the cash to pick up a DA polisher and pads(lots of pads), you can start by practicing on family and friends cars.
    Thanks man, I was thinking of staring with just "mini-details" and charging a lesser price until I learn the more intricate details of the craft. Maybe 20-30 dollars to just do the basics.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, pretty rare for a niche forum to be so inviting to noobs. Thanks so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wvdetailer View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, pretty rare for a niche forum to be so inviting to noobs. Thanks so much.
    Great folks here..... just be sure your advice comes from experts or at least verify any advice you receive regarding techniques.
    --Shagnat