autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many GSM to wash with Optimum No Rinse?

Using the Garry Dean method (use MF, wash panel, discard) I'm wondering what's the recommended MF rating?
    I also noticed many manufacturers don't mention the GSM rating on the package... any way to guesstimate it?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many GSM to wash with Optimum No Rinse?

Using Garry's method (if you can call it that...and who cares anyway) I can't see where GSM rating would be that important considering the towels are soaking wet with a slick wash solution, even when using ONR I can't see a problem.

I think super plush towels are awesome, but they also tend to make people feel warm and fuzzy inside when they use them, not sure how they feel when they pay for them. I know for a fact that Garry has used many a towel from a certain large store chain without concern. His words, not mine, but that was 5-6 years ago and he may have changed. Of course becoming a salesman has a tendancy to change ones thoughts as well. Garry is a great guy and I'm sure would answer your call and questions concerning this issues and give you up-to-date input from the man himself.

In my mind I'm wiping off a wax or sealant both of which provide lubrication, even the dust from a wax. If I use spray waxes, detailers, rinseless washes, or soap, then I'm still covered. Waterless may be different altogether, then again if I spray waterless solutions on my paint I also pre-wet the towels. I'm also of the same mind-set as others that at some point with waterless you will scratch the paint. It's not if, it's when. I still like to pressure wash the grit off first, but if you do that it sort of defeats the purpose, so then you have to figure out how much dirt is too much dirt to do a waterless or rinseless. Lots of discussion and varying opinions on this subject.

I never wipe dry...and I think that is key. Even when drying after a conventional soap wash, if I use towels instead of air, I always pre-wet those towels too and then wring them out before wiping to dry the surface of the paint. Even with high GSM towels that are softer I still will dampen them. Old habits die hard. Water itself is a lubricant.

That's my thoughts, but keep in mind I'm no professional. Other's mileage may vary.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Hoytman. It depends on how dirty your car is particularly how much grit is on it. It's more how far can you go with each towel instead of what GSM you use. If you have 10 microfiber wash mitts you can put in the rinseless wash it would be better than having a high GSM towel. I like lots of towels or mitts so I can pick up a clean one when needed. I will not wipe twice with the same towel in the same position. If you look after your first wipe you'll see a dirt line at the leading edge of the towel and that shouldn't touch the paint again. Flip the towel or fold it back over the top of your hand so you're using the back half of the towel fold. If you just need a number then I'd shoot for at least 400 gsm towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 480gsm and love them. Hold tons of water and when you wipe the oozing the water out helping flush dirt away. I initially tried the cheaper ones that were mentioned Gary uses but never again. Besides over and over in his vids Gary comes out and says he's not worried about micromarring paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I use 480 and 840 GSM towels for rinseless. The 480 I use on my wife's car, which is a light blue-gray metallic and the 840 on my dark blue car. My car has soft clear coat and scratches relatively easily, so when doing a rinseless, I am more cautious.

With both cars, I never reuse a quarter, so I go through about 8 towels... For my cars.

(Sent from my mobile device.)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you 1100 GSM would be too much lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a "creature" edgeless 420gsm and really like them. But I have no problem going down to a 250 or 300 if it is a good towel. Its more about having the right towel (tool) for the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    I can tell you 1100 GSM would be too much lol
    But I love my 1100 GSM's! Good for product removal.

(Sent from my mobile device.)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Something else to think about...

...I can simply throw cheaper towels away after doing a rinseless or waterless if they get too dirty and I'm in a situation or place where I must clean my dirty car. Think Mango Breeze quality or green edgeless type quality.

I find a coin-op to spray the grit off if possible, then wash. If the coin-op isn't an option I use my waterless, dampen the towels completely (takes more product so be prepared) with spray then spray each panel, use 8 sides of my towel, then throw the dirty towel away and start the process over with a clean fresh towel.

Honestly, I'm rarely in a situation where I can't locate a coin-op and I rarely put myself in a situation where I must use a waterless and then throw away my towels. It's just too easy to keep a small bucket and a bottle of rinseless with me. I don't like to throw away new towels. I keep discount box store towels on hand at all times that are the same quality as those mentioned above, but way cheaper, and they're fine for washing when completely dampened and the panels are sprayed. For me it makes no sense what-so-ever to use higher priced towels in these types of situations and especially doing these types of washes on daily drivers.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I use 600 GSM microfiber towels. I have on hand the chinchilla and shine and buff towels. I feel like it's the sweet spot for rinseles and waterless. They're extremely absorbent and soft. I really enjoy the shine and buff because it has 2 different colored sides. It helps me keep track which side I've used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast