autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help pick a coating, too many options

Well folks, my wife just became the proud owner of a new 2016 Honda Pilot in Modern Steel Metallic. Since we have 2 youngsters under age 5, I'm looking for making it easy to keep clean and any scratch resistance increase is an added bonus.

Here's the ones I'm looking at:
    Gloss coat
    Cquartz UK
    Crystal Serum Light
    Other recommendations? I will say I'm hesitant to try the PBMG brands after PBL glass coating left a lot to be desired.

For prep I have a GG6 with some white and black cobra cross groove pads 6.5" and unused Hydro Tech blue and tangerine pads 5" and BnS 4" pads. Polishes are M105/205 as well as menzerna IP and FF3000.

I also have iron-x, eraser, PBL coating prep polish, assorted MF towels and other odds and ends.

So, what would you consider the best coating given my vehicle and conditions? Also, which size of each (how many ML)? Any products you'd think I MUST have for prep? I'm hoping my polishes and pads will give a good finishing combination.

Thanks guys!
    Chris

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help pick a coating, too many options

Wash, Iron-x, clay,
    polish (try a test spot for pad/ polish combination) Polish entire Pilot, (Check panel by panel the polish work is perfect).
    Apply wipe down of coating prep.( min. Two microfiber towels one to apply, one to remove).
    Most coatings like 70@ degrees or warm. I personally do not like to apply while raining.

Best coating is about like asking best manufacture of cars. There so many out on the market!
    To me, if the prep work is done correctly, any one of the coating you have listed will do fine.
    Cquartz UK has a bit of learning curve, but you can handle it if you take your time, go slowly one 18' x 18' section at a time.
    Best of luck and let us see the finished pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Gloss Coat. Really easy to use and user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

If its over 70 I would use the reg CQ, or gloss coat for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the ones you listed I have used CQUK & GC. GC was easier, but I liked the darkening effect of CQUK on the paint. I have stopped using both and just coated both my cars with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic. It is the easiest to use coating I have tried. Looks good and great gloss. It's a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hollerstiltner View Post
    I will say I'm hesitant to try the PBMG brands after PBL glass coating left a lot to be desired.
    What was wrong with PBL glass coating? I use it and love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a lot of love for gloss coat. I'll have to look into it some more. I like that it's made in TN.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Silverado View Post
    What was wrong with PBL glass coating? I use it and love it!
    Honestly, I didn't get more than 3-4mo durability from it. Significantly less than I got from Aquapel, and far less than the advertised 18mo. I felt Aquapel worked better as well.

I also thought the advertising was a bit misleading. On the application guide it says 3-4 sprays is enough for a windshield, then Nick says he recommends to use 5-8 sprays to each side of the windshield. When I bought it, I was expecting it to be durable, easy to use and economical. So far it's not been any of those.

Post Thanks / Like

I also really like WG Uber. You said you didn't like the PBMG because of a bad experience with a glass coating. On my Audi I had done my windshield with Flyby Forte and was less than impressed so when I coated my car with Uber I also used it on my windshield (Uber can go on most all the exterior surfaces rather than just paint) and it worked much better at 35mph than the Forte did at 75. I really do like the ease of use but the main reason I used it was I liked the look of the finished product.

Here is a link to pictures I took of my 7 year old Audi after coating with Uber coating.Uber by Ancient_11 | Photobucket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
    I also really like WG Uber. You said you didn't like the PBMG because of a bad experience with a glass coating. On my Audi I had done my windshield with Flyby Forte and was less than impressed so when I coated my car with Uber I also used it on my windshield (Uber can go on most all the exterior surfaces rather than just paint) and it worked much better at 35mph than the Forte did at 75. I really do like the ease of use but the main reason I used it was I liked the look of the finished product.

Here is a link to pictures I took of my 7 year old Audi after coating with Uber coating.Uber by Ancient_11 | Photobucket
    Thank you for the info and the link your car looks great! Certainly doesn't look 7yo.

How long have you had the on it and how's it holding up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast