autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding Swirls 101

Hey Guys. I thought using a flash light to find swirls should be straight forward and the only thing to talk about should be based on swirls detected, best method / best product to do the paint correction with.

My question is really basic on how to hold the flashlight to see them, and where to look. I see the awesome pictures posted on here and it made me want to get into swirl finding on my own.

Since the light Mike Phillips uses is no longer in production, what to buy for a replacement? I've seen the Rupes, and the pros and cons for it versus other tactical flash lights.

I asked a guy who is going to apply Modesta for me on my 2016 Mustang what he uses. I bought the BYB Super Bright CREE XML T6 LED based on his suggestion. I received it and was excited to get into the garage and look at my Magnetic paint. I did not see anything relating to swirls. I thought there should be something as the last at home full exterior job with claying, paint correction (using a swirl remover blind, i.e. not owning a light to find them) and applying Chemical Guys Jet Seal to protect the paint through the Pennsylvania winter. I hate to admit it, but I used a local car wash every couple weeks to keep her clean. I really wanted to get all the road salt and chemicals they lay down on the roads off my baby. I did splurge for a top coat of car wax they advertised for an extra $5. I believe some form of a Turtle Wax is used at the car wash.

I took pictures mostly of the right side of the car. I am looking for criticism. Am I holding the flashlight and taking pictures correctly? It is harder than it looks! I could not see any swirls. She has been through 10 - 15 car washes since I applied Jet Seal. It is great that I do not see anything. My other thought is if the Jet Seal is still hanging on a bit, and the car wash turtle wax really doing it's job to fill the swirls? I am thinking that if I stripped her down to just the clear coat of the paint, removing all sealers and wax, then they may be laying in wait? I do not WANT them, but I am interested in exposing them and correcting the paint.

LOL... this is like cleaning the house up before the service we hired comes over so they don't think we are the slobs we really are! lol. or.. when I used to smoke, and had a Dr. appt, I would make sure I had time to get a shower, change clothes before I saw him so I didn't get the smoking lecture! lol.. anyone else do this type of stuff too?

I can't wait to see my car in Modesta. She is going to look amazing for the Ford Nationals in Carlisle in June. Two of my cars will be in the show field.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finding Swirls 101-dscn0406-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0407-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0408-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0409-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0410-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0411-jpg   Finding Swirls 101-dscn0412-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finding Swirls 101

I also use a Cree flashlight as my swirl finding light. Try to focus the light a bit closer, so you can see the reflection of the actual light on the paint. Then you'll be able to find swirls. But it doesn't look like your paint has any...

Finding Swirls 101-imageuploadedbyagonline1460954354-128632-jpg

The Turtle Wax Zip Shine car wash doesn't hide swirls, at least I'm pretty sure it can't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I also use a Cree flashlight as my swirl finding light. Try to focus the light a bit closer, so you can see the reflection of the actual light on the paint. Then you'll be able to find swirls. But it doesn't look like your paint has any...

Finding Swirls 101-imageuploadedbyagonline1460954354-128632-jpg

The Turtle Wax Zip Shine car wash doesn't hide swirls, at least I'm pretty sure it can't.
    Yes, exactly what Eldorado2k said. When looking for swirls with the light, you want to be looking around the reflection of the "hot spot" of the light beam, not the cast of light on the panel itself. If you move the light around while watching that hot spot you will be able to see stray defects start to appear around the spot. Some lights are better than others for this.

Post Thanks / Like

In a few of those photos, the light is really blowing out the paint; that will make it more difficult to see swirls. I find that you need to have the focus right, as already stated. And, there is a balance with the amount of light. Too little and there is not enough light for you to see anything, too much and you blow out the paint and can't see the swirls through the brightness. Move the light back a little and focus the beam better, then start moving the light slowly, or keep the light stationary and move yourself and watch for the glints. It's like those focusing artworks of the 90s, after you see them once, they should jump out much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

This Mike Phillips articles contains some
    good suggestions on finding swirls, etc.
    (just disregard the Brinkman references):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ere-light.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys! I will be in the garage this weekend playing with my cars. I will take your suggestions with the light. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Rupes Swirl Finder Light, and haven't had any trouble locating swirls on different colored cars. Like Eldorado2k stated, The main thing is looking at the outer edge of the light output, compared to the middle. Many people make the mistake of looking dead into the center in hopes of find swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Navish360 View Post
    I use a Rupes Swirl Finder Light, and haven't had any trouble locating swirls on different colored cars. Like Eldorado2k stated, The main thing is looking at the outer edge of the light output, compared to the middle. Many people make the mistake of looking dead into the center in hopes of find swirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That light didn't far well with the users on Amazon. For $50 I'd want more than a pin light with such low lumens. j/s
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the sun. Not trying to be a smarta$$, but the sun is a sure fire way of revealing swirls. Nothing is worse than trying to find swirls with a flashlight and then driving out into the sun and seeing the paint all swirled up. Scangrip Sunmatch has a real nice light for around $150 that is made specifically for swirl hunting. 95 CRI, 4500 Kelvin, 1100/550 lux, 400/180 lumen with rechargeable battery. For serious detailers or those of us with OCD.