autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning engine bay?

Let's just say at 111k 04 bmw 545 and 3rd owner it was never cleaned or washed or anything? I had tons of problems with my 545 from leaks to timing issues. Now that it's ok to drive I want to clean the engine since I can see grease and other liquids all over the engine. What can I use it to clean it nicely? Can I use the local wash pressure hose with soap? Is there any place on the engine I should not touch? Coming from Hondas and toyotas motors I just pressured washed it and I went on!! But this bmw is def a very delicate motor!! So what do you guys recommend I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning engine bay?

Do at your own risk. I have never had any real problems but have heard of people that's have.

I would get a good citrus degreaser like 3D Orange 88 degreaser and a detail brush if it is as bad as you say. Spray 4:1, agitate with the brush and clean up with an old wet towel or rinse areas I wasn't worried about with a low pressure spray of water. An all purpose cleaner will work too, just not as well. I'm not a fan of petroleum based cleaners, but they do work.

Some will go all out and rap up everything they are concerned about with Saran Wrap, foil, tape, or all of the above first to be cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

From my point of view...I'd stay away from using any form of high pressure wash. There is just too much of a chance to get that one lonely bit of water in something.

Using a de-greaser, various brushes etc, then just let the hose flood the water and gunk off. From the sounds of it you may have one big mess, so maybe do the final wash over something other then concrete or asphalt.

You may want to look at the various "engine cleaners" (like Gunk) to bust through the real bad stuff.

Good luck...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

if it's a must cover the maf sensor alternator coil packs if any.Gunk is fine if you can deal with the smell.I personally would use a non caustic apc with a lot of manual agitation and it's cheaper.I have seen guys dump water full blast with a hose and also a pressure washer.some have luck and some don't.Pick your poison,I personally use a pressure washer on a low psi setting like 200 psi or lower and repeatedly look for areas that need more attention rather than blasting it in one shot.cover fuse box Gd luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I never did like the smell of the regular Gunk. I found a citrus based OTC one a while ago that worked really well and didn't stink, but then I never could find it again later in stores. That's what originally got me looking into citrus based degreasers. They work really well.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser at 5:1 on an '02 Civic's engine that had never been washed and it came out great. I used a parts cleaning brush and a flag tipped brush as needed and avoided the air intake, alternator, and computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DjbuddyPL View Post
    But this bmw is def a very delicate motor!!
    What makes you say that?
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Post Thanks / Like

Toyota forums really warn against pressure washers these days unless you really seal up electronics areas. Also, any place it can get into light fittings, etc.

I use purple power, brush bad stuff (rare) and rinse with a garden hose sprayer or just a flowing hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Took today off to get some tires for my transit.I planned on detailing it really good, ironx clay McKee fast compound and jeweling finish.Then stripped it with d120 straight then applied uber.kinda reneging on doing the motor,so I decided to do it after taking all the necessary covering on electrical components.now when it runs my over drive off light is on the dash.Disconnected battery and no luck.well back to the mechanic on Monday all cause of a light engine wash ain't worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast