autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning engine bay?

To avoid having to use water in the engine bay (which is totally fine), I now periodically wipe down the engine once a week. This prevents it from getting dirty in the first place. I use any plastic cleaner or dressing of choice. Lately I've been using Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer in the engine rubber/plastic parts. Works well. Most of the engine bay products are similar - HD/303 etc.

2. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wipe down my engine bay with a Swiffer duster every 100miles or so. My engine looks better than new!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

4. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I wipe down my engine bay with a Swiffer duster every 100miles or so. My engine looks better than new!

Keeping up with it is the best way to keep it clean. No need for degreaser or water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sethr View Post
    Toyota forums really warn against pressure washers these days unless you really seal up electronics areas. Also, any place it can get into light fittings, etc.

I use purple power, brush bad stuff (rare) and rinse with a garden hose sprayer or just a flowing hose.
    Funny cause the dealer I do work for mainly buys Toyotas and I have been using a pressure washer on his cars since 2015 and its over 50 cars Yaris, Camrys out my butt hole, Corollas too, bunch of Lexus also. Never had a single problem with any of them.

Most cars today have the entire engine bay covered by a big plastic cover and you have very very little chance to get anything into anywhere sensitive. Obviously dont hold a pressure washer 15degree nozzle 1 inch from any connectors or anything but you CAN use a pressure washer safely on engines. Its mostly drama and overly cautious people saying dont.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

7. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Rambro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hosed off my engine for the last 20 years without an issue. You just have to be careful. However, now I prefer to just keep up with it and avoid having to use water at all. Of course if it's really dirty using a hose is still the most efficient way to clean it off.

Post Thanks / Like

when I did mine, I used Sonax Engine Cleaner to clean and I covered up the sensitive electrical parts and the alternator and hosed it off.

And dressed it with Sonus Motor Kote afterward.

I probably over did it with the covering but better safe than sorry.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Disconnect the battery, cover the MAF sensor, cover the alternator. You already have a plastic engine cover protecting coils etc. so you should be fine. Spray APC/degreaser, agitate, rinse, dry, reconnect battery and you're good to go.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid and I want to know if it's safe to clean the engine bay using free running water from garden hose?

I posted this question on the Rav4World forum but didn't get any meaningful responses. Typically, I clean the engine bay with a damp cloth once every few months to keep everything looking clean. I know there's more dirt in places where the cloth won't reach. I'd like to apply a little degreaser, agitate with brush, and rinse off with water.

Is this safe? Any recommendations from anyone who owns a hybrid car, and cleans their engine bay?

Post Thanks / Like

Urmil you got two pages (28 responses). Not sure what exactly you are looking for in a response. The orange cables are the Hybrid system. The manual says not to douse the bay with running water; post 9 by BazingerZ.

Your best bet to be safe and careful is stay on top of it to the point of not needing to use water pressure of any kind that is not found in nature.

I would post the link but I believe that violates the external linking clause in the EULA.

EDIT: I cannot see why using a controlled spray bottle to removed the agitated debris would cause a problem. You would know to steer clear of anything orange or computer related.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urmil View Post
    I have a 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid and I want to know if it's safe to clean the engine bay using free running water from garden hose?

I posted this question on the Rav4World forum but didn't get any meaningful responses. Typically, I clean the engine bay with a damp cloth once every few months to keep everything looking clean. I know there's more dirt in places where the cloth won't reach. I'd like to apply a little degreaser, agitate with brush, and rinse off with water.

Is this safe? Any recommendations from anyone who owns a hybrid car, and cleans their engine bay?

I cleaned the engine bay using sonax engine cleaner followed by free running water from garden hose twice. Once on my 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE about a year ago and just 2 days ago on my 2019 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE.

Each time I was careful to first wrap electrical parts with aluminum foil. I even sprayed a bit of WD40 before the foil wrap. And also the pulley, I read that you want to avoid water getting in to the bearing. So I wrap and tape the pulley area well.

After hosing it off, I used the leaf blower to dry it also. I didn't start car til the next day just to make sure all was really dried. I also used Sonus Trim & Motor Kote to dress it up.

Do this at your own risk. Safest thing to do is what you're been doing with damp cloth. Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast