autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First time polishing, not sure where to start

I drive a 2006 Lancer Evolution and I've been claying and waxing the car it's whole life. I've never polished the vehicle before so it's new territory for me. I purchased a HF speed polisher(good price and reviews were pretty good) and I believe it's a good starter one. Any who I'm kinda overwhelmed on what products/pads to purchase. I don't want to buy to many items but again I don't want to buy to little. I don't want to start a job and then get to a point where I needed to do more and then having to stop my progress. Since I skimped on the polisher I'm ok with purchasing great pads/products.

So I already wash the car, Clay and wax. But for the step between claying and waxing, I know I probably need something that would remove swirls. What is a good product and pad to start that? Then after that should I just wax after that or would I need to do another polishing job to have it more fine? I'm probably getting a different back plate, a 5inch one with im assuming 5.5 inch pads.

There seems to be a vast amount of things for polishing and it's kinda overwhelming when looking into all of it. I'm just looking to be pushed in the right direction and go on from there.

tl;dr - Never polished before. What pads/products to purchase and what to do between claying and waxing.

Thanks in advanced.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time polishing, not sure where to start

Welcome aboard, captain.

For the detailing perfectionists there are a lot of steps that lead to a perfect finish. But many of them are optional, and on some types of paint (particularly light metallics) you won't see much improvement in going the extra mile (not to dissuade you!). The basic steps are:

Wash (possibly with Iron-X)
    Clay
    Compound (for heavier marks)
    Polish (for light marks and to get a final mirror finish)
    Sealant
    Wax (optional)

Some products (called all-in-one types) will do both the compounding and polish. You'll usually get better results if you do them separately, but the AIO products can do a decent job on some paint types.

And yes, you will absolutely want to do something about swirls on a 10 year old car. Right now your brain is conditioned to not see the bazillion microscratches that have gotten into your clear coat, but once you see a section with those buffed out it'll be like seeing a kid that was playing in mud puddles with part of his face scrubbed clean.

I'm not sure about Evo paint, so I'd hate to recommend pads and compounds. But personally, I'm a fan of Wolfgang products.. and would probably recommend Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover to start out compounding. And maybe add Wolfgang Finishing Glaze if you want more mirror shine. But there are other great choices as well, including Menzerna (my personal preference), Pinnacle, and many more.

The pads you use tend to be a consideration of how soft your paint is (how easily it scratches), the type of polisher you have (in your case the HF), and the compounds. But I'd probably suggest the new Lake Country ThinPro pads. I just got some and haven't used them yet, but they should be very nice. You'll want 2-3 of each type... probably orange for compounding and white for polishing. Use the Lake Country 5" backing plate with those.

I'd need to know what color your paint is to recommend a sealant and wax. That stuff can be applied either by a soft polisher pad or by hand.

And you'll want to get some really good quality towels (3-4) to dry the car, and good MF towels (about a dozen) for removing wax and compounds.

Keep in mind that this is just one suggestion. Ask a dozen guys here and you'll get 13 opinions.

Before you assemble your arsenal and attack your defenseless car, be sure to study some of the information here about properly polishing cars. You'll get much better results with less effort (but expect to spend a full weekend to do it right).

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my thoughts:

Pads/backing plate: Lake Country 5" backing plate and a variety of 5.5" Lake Country Flat pads are a good start. I'd make sure to have at least 3 orange pads, least 3~4 white pads, and a couple of black or blue pads. The orange and white will be for correction and the black/blue for LSP application. In addition to watching videos here where Mike shows you how to use a DA, read up on cleaning/rotating pads while you work.

Polishing Products: I'm not familiar with Mitsubishi paint, but I found Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to be very user friendly and cheap. They seem to work well on a variety of different paints. Many here will also recommend products like HD's Adapt and Polish. They a inexpensive and work well based on the testimonials here. There are many others, but when I first started out I liked using inexpensive and easy to use products and worked up to other products as I became more skilled.

I'd be sure to have an heavy-ish polish and a lighter polish on hand when you start. That way, when doing a test spot you'll have options. However, start with the mildest combination and work down from there. For starters try a polish on a white pad. If that doesn't work, try the polish with the orange pad. If no luck, move down to the swirl remover/compound on white, and then finally orange.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI the car paint is black. I'm reading all the comments here and trying to process everything haha. I appreciate all the input so far, def makes things a little easier.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Adapt, HD Speed, HD Poxy $50.00 for all three

and a six pack of Buff & Shine 5.5" pads, 3 orange, 2 white, one blue or black and you are good to go.

Total less than $100.00

The pads are currently on sale you may want to double up on those, you can never have enough pads.

Here's the links

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD

Buff and Shine 5.5 inch Flat Foam Pads 6 Pack - YOUR CHOICE!

Backing plate is on sale too.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the new Lake Country Flat Pads and the Lake Country CCS pads. Is the consensus that the new flat pads are a good set?

Post Thanks / Like

I personally hate ccs pads, too much product gets lost in the dimples. Never been sold on them or hex logic.

Being the Buff and Shine pads are on sale and you have a HF machine you can't go wrong with that combo.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

You've got some great advice here. So I won't expound and confuse you more just make sure you give us some pics of the evo 9 when you go forward with it.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captainsquirts View Post
    I drive a 2006 Lancer Evolution and I've been claying and waxing the car it's whole life. I've never polished the vehicle before so it's new territory for me. I purchased a HF speed polisher(good price and reviews were pretty good) and I believe it's a good starter one. Any who I'm kinda overwhelmed on what products/pads to purchase. I don't want to buy to many items but again I don't want to buy to little. I don't want to start a job and then get to a point where I needed to do more and then having to stop my progress. Since I skimped on the polisher I'm ok with purchasing great pads/products.
    Congrats on the new found and soon to be addiction

I'm not familiar with that polisher to recommend which line of pads will work. I will say you'll likely need 5-6 of whichever 1 or 2 you will get as it's wise to change them out after ever couple panels. They wash up just fine and will last you a while. No worries on the products. So many great ones out there that you really can't go wrong.

So I already wash the car, Clay and wax. But for the step between claying and waxing, I know I probably need something that would remove swirls. What is a good product and pad to start that?
    You can do a couple things. Some do individual products / steps such as compounds, polishes and then sealants. Some do All in One Products. I have done both but in your case if the car has been cared for and the swirls aren't out of control horrible, a solid AIO will work great. I like and use HDSpeed. Happens to be the one I started with in terms of AIO and is well respected by many. Very easy to remove which is great and for me I like the fact that it finishes to a super nice finish. I ran mine with a green pad which sits between an Orange and white. However, you could use an Orange if the swirls are really bad or even white if you can get away with it. I'd go green or orange though.

Then after that should I just wax after that or would I need to do another polishing job to have it more fine?
    My initial recommendation is to go AIO and see how that does for you. Especially for a first time polisher. Enjoy it for a few weeks, absorb the experience and perhaps read up here on other products. Nothing wrong with bringing the car to 95% perfection and doing the rest later after you gain further insight. If you want you could hit it with a jeweling polish or work on really refining the surface and do it all at once or in stages but that's up to you. I did mine in stages and was glad I did for the above reasons. Mainly to learn about products and not kill myself in one weekend. Now on both our vehicles it's just a matter of very light corrections when needed and often not even all at once.

There seems to be a vast amount of things for polishing and it's kinda overwhelming when looking into all of it. I'm just looking to be pushed in the right direction and go on from there.
    You're in the right place to learn about them all too. Don't be overwhelmed. It's really not as complicated as it appears. Soak it up.

Enjoy and I'm looking forward to seeing pics both before and after.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast