autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Sealant VS Coating VS ??...what products have MAXIMUM clear coat protection from sun?

I am looking for MAXIMUM protection from the sun for certain applications. Mainly, for cars that live outside (no garage, carport, or cover) what types of products are best to keep the clear coat protected from the sun? I know there are benefits from coatings, especially that they last longer once applied but setting that aside what types of product(s) will offer better protection from the sun??

Just to give an example I have been using Klasse AIO + Klasse Sealant (+ wax sometimes on top) but I am wondering how does this package protect from sun VS say Cquartz, Opticoat, etc??

Also, when using the Klasse AIO and Sealant which of the two offers better protection from the sun the AIO or the Sealant???

Is there some other type of product that offers the best UV protection???

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant VS Coating VS ??...what products have MAXIMUM clear coat protection from sun?

Quote Originally Posted by lomby View Post
    Is there some other type of product that offers the best UV protection???
    LSP, whether it be waxes, sealants, or coatings; they are not like sunscreen with SPF ratings. I don't think anyone can say what is "best" or has the maximum amount of UV or any other kind of protection. Any evidence presented would be mostly anecdotal. Your best bet would be to use what you like, and use it relatively often so you know that your vehicle's paint is never unprotected.

FWIW, my Honda Element lives outside. I coated with CQUK last February, and I gave it a Reload last week. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant VS Coating VS ??...what products have MAXIMUM clear coat protection from sun?

Optimum and CarPro coats advertises that theirs have UV inhibitors, try to look at those.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for the replies trekkeruss & hdez. I will look closer at the coatings because if I can get uv protection and long lasting that would be perfect. I was actually thinking about trying CQUK + Reload so thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat is one of the easiest coatings to apply and is user friendly. A good place to start.

Pinnacle Black Label V2 is also user friendly. Offers UV protection according the description on AGO's store. There is a sale on Pinnacle coming in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I know at least 1 of the Duragloss sealants advertises as containing UV protection. I recently applied 111 and it's insanely glossy. I think that's the one with UV protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car Wax is the best I have found and I use it once a Month or so. Just like sun screen for your body it needs to be replenished. Optimum states 5 Months but I would not trust that in high UV areas. I have been on this UV blocking for quite a while living in AZ. A lot of products state UV protection but do not state for how long, OCW states UVA and UVB and is easily applied.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Optimum Car Wax is the best I have found and I use it once a Month or so. Just like sun screen for your body it needs to be replenished. Optimum states 5 Months but I would not trust that in high UV areas. I have been on this UV blocking for quite a while living in AZ. A lot of products state UV protection but do not state for how long, OCW states UVA and UVB and is easily applied.
    Yeah, the funny thing is that there was a discussion about this on the OPT forum recently, and they said that the coatings have inhibitors and give better UV protection than OCW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, the funny thing is that there was a discussion about this on the OPT forum recently, and they said that the coatings have inhibitors and give better UV protection than OCW.
    The only real experience with a coating I have is with Dlux. I used it on the Black trim at the door pillars and rear step of the Van trying to alleviate the oxidation problem. It still oxidized under the Dlux which I had to remove with compound (that was fun) so I could polish out the oxidation. That was the last coating I used. I am not denying any claims to what may work as I do not know of any real world tests and documentation of any products that claim UV protection. The best protection is to park in the garage and only drive at night

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked pondering this interesting POV
    regarding UV-"protectors":

Quote Originally Posted by detailbyfemale View Post
    in my opinion----that UV crud is what makes it flake and peel......

Quote Originally Posted by jbgrant View Post
    Are you saying that you think certain protectants damage the clearcoat? I think I'm confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I think she must mean she thinks the UV inhibitors in the clear coat.

Quote Originally Posted by detailbyfemale View Post
    thank you CEE DOG.....my point exactly....
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast