autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars MT300 and microfiber pads

I'm thinking about switching from a HF D.A. to the meguiars MT 300, my question is more about the pads than the D.A. I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on the pads ? For instance like how long do they last are they easy to clean and are they user friendly thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars MT300 and microfiber pads

The thing about MF pads is the fibers get matted down and need to be fluffed up to maintain the performance of the pad. Best for this is an air compressor, and it needs to be done at least a couple of times per panel.

Post Thanks / Like

I blow out MF pads after every section, just as I would a foam pad.

After use, they are easier to clean than foam pads.

Very user friendly on a PC, HF, or any other Traditional DA.

They seem to offer the most cut of any pad choice on a Traditional DA.

They will last longer if you are blowing them out vs. using a pad brush.

I have found that the best brush for cleaning them thoroughly and quickly is this one:

Mothers Interior & Upholstery Brush works Mothers Carpet Cleaner into auto carpet & upholstery to remove stains better. Use Mothers brush on the
    Beware of those giving suggestions without evidence of their results.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    I blow out MF pads after every section, just as I would a foam pad.

After use, they are easier to clean than foam pads.

Very user friendly on a PC, HF, or any other Traditional DA.

They seem to offer the most cut of any pad choice on a Traditional DA.

They will last longer if you are blowing them out vs. using a pad brush.

I have found that the best brush for cleaning them thoroughly and quickly is this one:

Mothers Interior & Upholstery Brush works Mothers Carpet Cleaner into auto carpet & upholstery to remove stains better. Use Mothers brush on the
    Thanks guy's I actually already have that brush so that's good to know.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber pads are absolute amazing. I use the Megs ones on my Flex 3401, Zentool 21, & Rupes 75e. My pads never see compressed air as i am mobile and have no compressor. The DP pad washer a.k.a. LC 3000 does the trick for me.

The only benefit I see from the HF DA to the Megs is ergonomics. May I ask what size plat you are running on the HF? If you have a larger one, I suggest going to 5" plate. The Megs MF pads in this size on your machine perform well, as the thin foam does too.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 L/C flat pads now. The reason I was thinking about switching to the meguiars machine is because it just looks more comfortable. I like the power of the H.F. but the vibration is just really getting old. I'm also mobile but I do carry a small 5gallon air compressor with me so blowing the pads off would be no big deal I actually already do that with my foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jhold87 View Post
    I'm using a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 L/C flat pads now. The reason I was thinking about switching to the meguiars machine is because it just looks more comfortable. I like the power of the H.F. but the vibration is just really getting old. I'm also mobile but I do carry a small 5gallon air compressor with me so blowing the pads off would be no big deal I actually already do that with my foam pads.
    The MT300 is smoother than the other "PC" type polisher. BUT, IME, you have to use thin pads with it. I have lots of B&S pads, but the machine does not work well with them. The Meg's MF pads work fine with the machine. I do not have the thin Megs foam pads.

One my customers bought one for me, and I like it, but I recently upgraded to a Rupes LHR15 MarkII, and now I don't touch the MT300. I use a GG 6" with a 3" BP for tighter areas, but want to pick up a Mini (Rupes or Zentool - much smoother) soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an MT300 which was an upgrade from a PC7424XP in terms of power and ergonomics. The MT300 still has vibration but the benefit is that your hands won't feel as fatigued. It does have more power and doesn't need a lot of downward pressure. Especially with the Meguiar's thin foam disks. I have not had any issues using the MT300 with Lake Country Hydro Tech pads or Lake Country Flat pads. The thin Meguiar's foam pads will work best as it is intended to be a system. The MT300 also works very well with the microfiber pads. The biggest issue I have had with the MT300 was the fact that the power cord has failed twice on it. Each time after 5 uses. Meguiar's has repaired it twice.

I have since upgraded to the Rupes LHR15 Mark II and it is night and day. An overall better machine. I would actually recommend you save your money and get this instead. Less vibration and more power.