autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Covercraft Cover Tip-Warning

Hello all,
    Earlier this week we had some pretty stiff winds come through the area, and a couple of days ago noted a small tear occurring next to the bottom Hem on my Covercraft NOAH Cover.

This 3" tear was occurring directly behind the Driver's Front Wheel, and where I attached the Gust Guard Cord's Clips.

The Cover is not that old, about 1-1/2 years old, but spends its entire life outdoors under my Carport. Of course in this time the cover has been pounded considerably by high winds, dusts, and I have only washed the cover with basically water only, hosing down while on the vehicle.

So, thinking about how can I quickly fix this tear with little hassle, and to quickly stop any further?

So, I thought I'd use a Iron On Denim Patch, proceeded to set up Clothes Iron outside, precut the Patch, and went to work. I positioned the Patch on the inside of cover, applied Iron, and the cover melted instantly! I mean right now! Now the tear-rip is 3 times as long, a good 9" in length! Uggh.

Durn it I thought, now what?

While I thought that yes, looks like a trip now to some local upholstery shop to have a patch sewn in on the inside, I thought again that just any sturdy material would probably work, I then thought "why not just call Covercraft and see what they say"?

Of course I was not looking to press covercraft for a warrantee repair, especially after I now further damaged the cover myself. I was solely possibly seeking a small amount of the same material that I could have sent to me, and of course wouldn't have at all minded any minor fees for the material, and shipping costs.

They were very helpful, sounded that they would've repaired the cover free of charge, but this also would've meant shipping costs, which for such a cover I know would not be cheap.

Thus, they agreed to send me a sizeable piece of material free to me, and asked for my address. While I haven't yet received it, I'm sure it will come soon.

So folks, just a tip, such covers are no doubt some synthetic type of Nylon, or Polyester or such based, no hot irons!

No regrets on buying this cover, it's doing what it supposed to do, protect my vehicle, and it is going through a literal hell here in southern NM with our winds, high temps, dusts.
    Hope you all haven't minded this post,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Covercraft Cover Tip-Warning

You should have exchanged it, covercraft is very good at warranteeing their covers. I had a NOAH cover that disintigrated after only two years and they were willing to exchange it. I actually upgraded to a WeathershieldHP instead. The weathershieldHP is much lighter and has held up much better, and keeps out dust, which the NOAH did not do well.

While they say do not use bungee cords, I have always used a bungee cord to fix my covers to the car and never had an issue.