autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Cover or No Car Cover?

Okay, folks, I have a question on a somewhat controversial issue – car covers.

Before you jump to a conclusion, I know all of the downsides about car covers. I’ve always avoided them in the past and I’ve done my research and validated my own concerns against the criticisms I’ve read from their detractors.

But, here’s the deal and why I’m asking…

I’ve got a 2 car garage with 4 cars vying for a spot. First world problems, I know.

- 1 spot is easily claimed by a vintage Saab that would otherwise melt in inclement weather.
    - The 2nd spot was previously cinched by my 911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet which hibernates during the winter but becomes my daily driver during the warm months…until recently. I just bought a CLA45 AMG. The idea of leaving its brand new, flawless red paint in the snow, ice and freezing rain gives me the shakes.

So, here are some thoughts I’ve run through…

1. Buy 2 car covers – one for the P-car to use during the Winter while the 45 occupies the 2nd spot; one for the 45 to use during most of the Summer months when the P-Car is used daily.

2. Buy 1 car cover for the P-car to use during the Winter and don’t worry about the warmer months – although the amount of pollen and leaves that accumulates on our cars when they’re outside and not being used will try my patience.

3. Keep the Porsche in the garage during the Winter and get a car cover for the 45 to use when the weather is supposed to be bad – just don’t use it every day.

4. Keep the Porsche in the garage during the Winter and don’t worry about a car cover for the 45 since it will do more harm than good.

5. Buy a car cover for the Porsche for the rest of the Winter and build another 2 car garage this Spring/Summer.

6. Screw the car cover and just build the garage this Spring/Summer.

FWIW, I’ve been toying with the idea of building another 2 car garage for a while. I’m not sure whether it’s the right time to do it so #5 and #6 might have to be put off by default but I really won't know for sure until late Spring or so.

Anyway, I’d really love to hear your thoughts on “car cover” or “no car cover.” For that matter, are there any great, waterproof car covers that won't mar the paint these days? I haven't really looked at different covers in years. Your thoughts on all of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Cover or No Car Cover?

Wow so many choices it's like begin in a candy store but I would just leave the Porsche in the garage until the warm weather but get a car cover for the 45 for when the bad weather comes around, and just build another garage in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a decent cover is a good stop-gap. Why can't the Saab go under a cover outside?

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a Noah cover on my porsche every night because it sleeps outside and if it's not covered the cats decide that the convertible top is the perfect place to sleep. I really haven't noticed any big downside to having the cover on the car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have the space to build another garage?

If not keep the porsche & the saab in the garage and cover the other two... Will they be on the road when covered or on a drive?
    Online Representative of ATS Euromaster. Tyre Brand of the month - Pirelli Tyres. Have any questions? Just ask!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

Quote Originally Posted by EPA7 View Post
    I think a decent cover is a good stop-gap. Why can't the Saab go under a cover outside?
    It's 40 yrs. old and it would rust to bits if I left outside. I've had enough minor rust issues that I've had to attend to with it that I'd rather not invite any new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by valleyrider View Post
    I keep a Noah cover on my porsche every night because it sleeps outside and if it's not covered the cats decide that the convertible top is the perfect place to sleep. I really haven't noticed any big downside to having the cover on the car.
    Valley, what part of the country are you in? I was set on getting a Noah or a Weathershield cover but I've read a lot of reviews where owners complain about their cars still getting wet. What has your experience been? If they're going to get wet anyway, I'm thinking the cover is going to create more issues than it solves...especially since I'm looking at it as an alternative to long term storage. I've thought about some of the portable garages as a temporary fix, too. I guess that could be listed among some of the options but I'm concerned about them holding up snow and withstanding winds. I'm also not sure if they're really any good....and some of them are downright ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by lauralouise90 View Post
    Do you have the space to build another garage?

If not keep the porsche & the saab in the garage and cover the other two... Will they be on the road when covered or on a drive?
    I do have space for a second garage and also plenty of room in my driveway. The cars would have their own spot far from the road (and even away from other cars).

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

The Noah hold out most of the water but it does get some through it because it breathes which is a good thing. I am in California where our winter consists if the weather dropping all the way down to 40* so no where near a real winter.

If it is going to be stored and not used much there is an inflatable bubble that you drive into, inflate, and it'll keep your car exactly as you left it. They make indoor and outdoor versions, they seem pretty cool. I would've bought one for myself but my car is a daily driver so it would be too much work for daily use. For longer storage though if you go with a temporary garage type thing make sure it's one that you drive on to the base so it won't move or it is firmly secured on the ground, last thing you want is to ruin your car in a wind storm because the housing rubbed against it.

Outdoor CarCapsule

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with water getting through is that snow can melt into the seams and then refreeze onto the car, basically bonding the cover to the car. The temps get far worse up in Maine and in parts of the Midwest but they still dip below 0F around here -- especially with wind chills this Winter. It's 32F right now but it's supposed to drop to 8F tonight. I'm also not sure that capsule was designed to withstand a New England winter.

When I mentioned a temporary garage, I was thinking about something like this...

AutoShelter RoundTop® 1015 Portable Garage:ShelterLogic

I have a spot in my driveway (between a couple of large rhododendron where I could 'hide' one of these things if needed).

-Eric

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a much better solution, I forgot you have real winters up there. Look into the garage in a box compact that is listed on that site as well. The garage version looks like it is 12x16x8 vs 10x15x8 for the same price. From their descriptions they make it sound like the garage version is better built too I really have no clue if that is true or not.

Just make sure to anchor down very well whatever you end up with.