autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Garage Wish List

I'm putting together plans for a new garage. Based on our experiences, we all have a wish list of things we would include, I was hoping some of you would share yours.

The garage will have 2-15' X 30' bays with 9' x 9' overhead doors. A dedicated equipment room which will contain my air compressor and plenty of shelving for all of my tools/supplies/products, a washer/dryer for the microfibers (dry on low heat), and a wash sink. Hard air lines will be run down the bay side walls with several connection points for pneumatic tools as well as outlets for electric tools (no more dragging hoses and cords all around the vehicle). Using T8 fluorescent lighting, sidewall lighting as well as overhead. An electric floor lift to bring vehicles up to an easy working level (looking forward to this more than anything). Obviously a floor drain. The two bays are a dedicated wash bay and a dedicated finish bay. Of course I will have water softener/purifying system. Additionally, the office/showroom and a bathroom.

I have a home based business, this is just a portion of a new, much larger garage I'm building (60' X 100") which will include several stalls for personal vehicles as well as a large open bay for toys (RV, car hauler, ATVs etc..) If I need to expand the shop, I have some flexibility to do so. I work alone and only take on the amount of work I feel like (this is my retirement business) so large scale production work is not a concern, 1-3 cars per week.

What am I missing? Looking forward to your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Garage Wish List

Everything sounds great. Remember, you can never have enough lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would add an exhaust fan. Another personal preference I have is having large width doors instead on individual doors. I sometimes have oversize stuff as well as I like to put the car in the middle of the garage and a large door makes it easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I just redid my lighting I'll post pictures after I finish this car today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    I personally would add an exhaust fan. Another personal preference I have is having large width doors instead on individual doors. I sometimes have oversize stuff as well as I like to put the car in the middle of the garage and a large door makes it easier.
    How did I miss the wide doors? I went to a taller door than the standard 7' garage door. I have plenty of width in each stall to go to an 11' wide door. I want to keep the separate doors since I have dedicated bays, I can open and close the wash bay with out bringing outside dirt/dust into the finish bay. Exhaust fan for sure, also have heat and A/C for climate control.

See, that's why I put the post out there. I would have been very upset with myself at some point with a 9' door.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I just redid my lighting I'll post pictures after I finish this car today.
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Everything sounds great. Remember, you can never have enough lighting.
    Can't wait to see what you have...agree you can never have enough!

Post Thanks / Like

What about running a central vacuum system along with the air lines and power?

Do you use MF pads? What about a dedicated area to clean your MF pads with compressed air? Instead of going outside or getting the dust in the whole shop I'm thinking something like an enclosed welding chamber. This box would have a compressed air line run into it. It would have a spindle that you attach a velcro backing plate to so you could attach your pads. It would also have a motor with a foot pedal to control the pad spinning. And if you want to get really fancy (as if this wasn't enough) you could incorporate your central vacuum system to the box for a no fuss way to keep it clean.

I think that would be cool. Maybe I should start making them.

Your setup sounds really sweet! Lots of pics are in order, right?

-scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twitch77 View Post
    What about running a central vacuum system along with the air lines and power?

Do you use MF pads? What about a dedicated area to clean your MF pads with compressed air? Instead of going outside or getting the dust in the whole shop I'm thinking something like an enclosed welding chamber. This box would have a compressed air line run into it. It would have a spindle that you attach a velcro backing plate to so you could attach your pads. It would also have a motor with a foot pedal to control the pad spinning. And if you want to get really fancy (as if this wasn't enough) you could incorporate your central vacuum system to the box for a no fuss way to keep it clean.

I think that would be cool. Maybe I should start making them.

Your setup sounds really sweet! Lots of pics are in order, right?

-scott
    I don't use mf pads (yet), but a cleaning room wouldn't be a bad idea. The vacuum system is a definite must, maybe not a central, but at least a nice wall mount unit on both sides of the wash bay.

Pics will definitely follow, but don't expect them anytime soon. Still in the planning/design phase with a planned spring build date.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot water system with a wall mounted pressure washer.

Deep Sump w/ pump

Non slip floor (if you decide to epoxy it, the HD/OTC stuff is like walking on ice when wet/soapy)

Wall mounted vacuum is meh, you are limited to hose length (unless a 40' hose is cool, with you LOL) if you want to vacuum something. If you want something with power, get a Festool Dust extractor.

240V plug? 20amp circuits

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan!

Question on the floor drain:
    Where will the effluent drain to/be collected for disposal or recycling?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast