autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tires and tire pressures

Ok there is all kinds of stuff going on in here now...
    anyone looking to change there tiresize should use this site:
    Ejelta.com: Tire Size Calculator

and this site
    Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

factory tire specs. 215(215mm)/55(aspect ratio of width)/17 et43 total height of factory tire = 668mm factory circumference= 2098mm

new tire specs. 235mm(235mm)/50(aspect ratio of width)/17 et 43
    height of new tire= 668mm new circumference =2098mm

the second number in a tire metric tire measurement isnt mm like it is the first.... its a % of the width..... side wall height did not change even though the number did.... while width increased the percent of height decreased there fore making the same circumference....

and in regards to the pressure
    michilin finally wrote me back and informed me that 32psi factory is acceptable. they recommend 35psi. and 26psi is the minimum pressure required to support the vehicle...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like

how to read a tire side wall size:
    Sidewall Aspect Ratio
    Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

source:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46

tire pressure in regards to temprature
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

federal mandated that tire pressure max read on the side wall is taken at 70* F
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesalanb View Post
    So you put more than an inch additional width and more than an inch worth of tire height on your wife's car, after over inflating the tires and causing a blow out? Did you do this research and decide a 245/50 was a good idea or did the dealer recommend this size to you? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you will factually see zero increase in vehicle handling, not to mention the speedometer and odometer that were calibrated to a particular size tire height+/- a specific tolerance is now off. I'm all for aesthetics too, but huh. I'm just looking at your situation from the outside in...
    Im not going to read this and take offense. 26psi is the minimum pressure required to support the vehicle. I will be inflating to 35psi as per michilins directions directly.
    As for the sizing. The tires are almost a full inch wider. However sidewall height, overall height, and circumference is identical to the factory 215/55-17. For example factory width is 215mm factory sidewall height is 55% of 215 @ 118.25mm
    New tire is 245mm wide and 50% of width for height or 122.5 mm (3.25mm difference)

My other two posts should answer some of these misconceptions on tire aspect ratios..

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

That's all stuff I never knew about tires... Thanks for sharing it.

I too am glad no one was hurt as a result of the sidewall blowout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12