autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question LED v.s. Fluorescent lights in the garage

What kind of lights do you use on the ceiling of your garage ?

I live in Mid Michigan and have an unheated garage* (remember that part for later)

I want to add some lights for the overhead. I would roughly say it's about 10ft up to the ceiling.

But when I was looking at a variety of lights at my local Home Depot, I noticed there was quite a varitey, for the garage.

Some were 2 bulb, some were 4 ... some seemed much brighter than others.

and back to my colder Michigan Winters - are some better in colder climates than others ?

The one I liked the best had 4 lights / seemed the brightest.

I have an electrical outlet already up there, so I could plug them in, or have my Electrical buddy, hard wire them in (so if I wanted to go with some High-output lamps, I think that would be an option.)

My garage is rectangular shaped

Roughly 1 and a 1/2 car deep

I usually pull straight in because the garage door comes in and up, so the part of the ceiling is blocked ...

The work bench is at the end of the garage (roughly where my front bumper of the car would be if I pulled in ... no where close to the actual garage door)

Want something more than a drop light on a retractable cord

thanks for the thoughts ...
    "Good Luck on your project"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LED v.s. Fluorescent lights in the garage

Fluorescent lights ARE somewhat temperature dependent. If it's cold enough in the garage, they may never come up to temp and not be as bright as you might want. They can warm up if they're in a reflector that traps hot air.

In my basement, we have some BR-style reflector compact fluorescents and they are DIM when I first turn them on --and that is conditioned space, so it's probably mid-to-low 60s at startup. They come up to temp in a couple minutes max, but they are in ceiling plenum.

Given unlimited budget, I would string a few long strips of adhesive-backed LED light strips all over the place and let them do the heavy lifting. They are temperature stable, vibration insensitive, and will last for a very long time.

I have these in my kitchen, literally stuck on the underside of the cabinets and they are exceptionally bright.

Ultra Bright Flexible Strip- Prices Starting at $7.00

They make workshop lighting as well:
    Garage and Workshop LED Lighting | Inspired LED

Post Thanks / Like

Home depot carried a number of low temp or zero temp lights, I would recommend those as they are cheaper, and easier to get, also go with a fixure that uses 4' T-8 as I believe the T-12 are going to be retired
    "The removal of 1000 swirls starts with a single compound !"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntC View Post
    Home depot carried a number of low temp or zero temp lights, I would recommend those as they are cheaper, and easier to get, also go with a fixure that uses 4' T-8 as I believe the T-12 are going to be retired
    I have T-8 daylight bulbs and they work from 0 degrees up and have never had a problem with them working. Here is a picture of them.

Post Thanks / Like

good info

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    In Michigan you should have a Menards. Go there. They have a better selection. I have to $10 two bulb T-8's in my garage with 4100K bulbs. Daylights are too blue and the 4100 gives out more light any way. T-8 fluorescents, like stated before will be operational at 0 degrees due to electronic ballasts. So the cold will never give you a fit even in the cold winter months. My garage is unheated as well but never gets below 40.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 12 ceilings in the garage so floresent tubes do a great job lighting everything and the electric bill is cheap to run them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good thread on garage lighting that is full of useful info Finally a comprehensive review of the best bulbs out there... - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

I have two 2 bulb fixtures running lengthwise and two 2 bulb fixturs crosswise so when I pull the car in the center of the garage there is light all around. Then I have 4 100W CFLs in clamp lights that I position on each side of the garage for better lighting on each side of the car. All are 5000K as this is very neutral light--I find the 6500K too blue and the 4100K too yellow. Some may say you need more than this, but I find it plenty of light for routine washing, waxing etc. for the weekend detailer.

When I polish I use a par38 single diode 5000K LED on a photographic light stand.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Fill the garage with 4' banks of T-8s. Very inexpensive and effective.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast