autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Epoxy for garage floors

I welcome any suggestions or experience you can share regarding recommended brands or how to apply epoxy to the garge floor. My builder wants to charge around $1,500.00 to do the job.......wife said ABSOLUTELY NOT at that price but she did agree to the "do it yourself" price with the following products;

-Rustoleum
    -Quickcrete

Any feedback? I'm reading mixed reviews

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epoxy for garage floors

Quote Originally Posted by superd View Post
    I welcome any suggestions or experience you can share regarding recommended brands or how to apply epoxy to the garge floor. My builder wants to charge around $1,500.00 to do the job.......wife said ABSOLUTELY NOT at that price but she did agree to the "do it yourself" price with the following products;

-Rustoleum
    -Quickcrete

Any feedback? I'm reading mixed reviews

Thanks
    Check into Rezstone ,,Hoover Wells. If you call them ask for John Corsini. At one time he was going to do my 2 car garage (free) but I was not ready. I gave John contracts over the years worth over $500000.00 Let me know if you need further assistance.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Rustoleum kit and it worked great for me. I applied it the day I closed on my house, before I moved everything in. I think it looks great and durability wise it holds up well after a year's worth now of jacking up my car to work on it with jackstands and dragging all kinds of heavy stuff over it. I paid $80 for the kit and it took me a full morning to prep and apply it, then I gave it 24 hours before I even walked on it. This was all on a previously unfinished concrete floor that was pretty clean. I'm very pleased with it.
    Mike
    2012 Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab Hemi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by transambrotha View Post
    I used the Rustoleum kit and it worked great for me. I applied it the day I closed on my house, before I moved everything in. I think it looks great and durability wise it holds up well after a year's worth now of jacking up my car to work on it with jackstands and dragging all kinds of heavy stuff over it. I paid $80 for the kit and it took me a full morning to prep and apply it, then I gave it 24 hours before I even walked on it. This was all on a previously unfinished concrete floor that was pretty clean. I'm very pleased with it.
    In most cases floor needs to be etched with acid.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I forgot to mention that, I did that the night before to make sure the epoxy adhered correctly. And when it's time to apply the epoxy it helps to have a buddy rolling it with you because the cure time is 2 hours after it's mixed if I recall right. So you have a limited time to actually paint it on. So taping and prep needs to be perfect before you start rolling it.
    Mike
    2012 Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quadcab Hemi

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used ucoatit in my shop. It is very durable.no worries about hot tire pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything I have read on doing it emphasizes one thing ..... PREP PREP PREP

if it's new concrete it has to have the proper amount of time for the concrete to cure and get all the moisture out of it or it won't bond. Also want to do your own moisture test before starting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
    Everything I have read on doing it emphasizes one thing ..... PREP PREP PREP

if it's new concrete it has to have the proper amount of time for the concrete to cure and get all the moisture out of it or it won't bond. Also want to do your own moisture test before starting
    Looks like you know your Epoxy. if you have more then 15% (not positive on that ) moisture it will lift in sheets. Ne dry floor needs etching, primer then epoxy. Old floors need same , but it needs to be build up epoxy. By no means it is real easy if you want it to look and work good. If you just apply without proper prep save your money and don't do it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. Did slot of research on it because if some of the horror stories I heard. I also used the U coat it system. I would put it in the middle price range and think it's a solid system to use. I went one step further and rented a floor grinder and gave my floor the once over with it. Rather spend forever prepping and have it last, then having to deal with it failing and the mess that follows.

You will have to look it up, but I think it's atleast 2-3 months of curing to let your slab cure and dry out... Might be even longer depending on where you live and humidity/ temp, etc. Just make sure you don't just jump into it figuring it's been long enough... Do a moisture test to save the headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
    Yeah.. Did slot of research on it because if some of the horror stories I heard. I also used the U coat it system. I would put it in the middle price range and think it's a solid system to use. I went one step further and rented a floor grinder and gave my floor the once over with it. Rather spend forever prepping and have it last, then having to deal with it failing and the mess that follows.

You will have to look it up, but I think it's atleast 2-3 months of curing to let your slab cure and dry out... Might be even longer depending on where you live and humidity/ temp, etc. Just make sure you don't just jump into it figuring it's been long enough... Do a moisture test to save the headaches.
    I was told it takes 28 days for concrete to fully cure. Does moisture fall under the 28 day rule or is this a separate issue?

Is primer a necessary step or added measure? I am wanting this stuff to adhere properly. I asked the builder not to seal the garage, I was told this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast