autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member EliteImageDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for ideas on new garage

Well finally the time has came that our new hosue will be nearing completition. I have a two car garage all to my self and have read the various threads on others. I am going with the U coat it flooring right away, just not sure on color scheme. Then the color of walls is also another issue. I figured 4 or 6 light system, outlets are basically everywhere so no need to look for power. back wall will have the cabinets and tool chest, Black in color.
    So I'm turning to you guys to help choose colors for walls and flooring and any really needed things. Figured I'l be installing all my fridge, HDTV, surround sound, and all my wall banners and posters too. I just can't wait to start working on the cars again.
    Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for ideas on new garage

Build deep and ad an inside drain before you pour the slab. Go heavy on to electrical too

It would be cool if you could make a thread and show the progress as it goes
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Build deep and ad an inside drain before you pour the slab. Go heavy on to electrical too

It would be cool if you could make a thread and show the progress as it goes
    That's great advice! Lots of plugs to accomodate your lighting. I have a portable a/c unit for my garage too. Doing work in there in the summer with the a/c going is heavenly.

Post Thanks / Like

I gained a bigger garage during our home renovation project. The old garage was 24x24 and was just studs and plywood with the one finished wall on the house side per code. We converetd one of the garage bays to a new entryway and laundry room and added a another garage bay. The new garage is totally drywalled and fully insulated with attic storage space above. The new garage is 28X28.

This winter, the temperature never got below 40 in the garage, even on the coldest days (we had a few that were below zero)

I have 4 banks of T8 florescent lights on the ceilings and the walls are white. There are plenty of outlets. With the white walls and ceiling, it is bright enough in the garage that a doctor could do surgery.

I don't have a drain in the garage floor... our codes require an oil/water separator, and that would have added at least another $15K to the project .

The driveway was also redone and widened as part of the project.
    2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 2006 Ford Mustang GT 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice on this thread! Some pictures would be great.
    JJKACZ

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow...
    2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 2006 Ford Mustang GT 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4

Junior Member EliteImageDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will add pictures and a new thread when the garage starts and I get things moving, will def. have more then enough electrical stuff run. My garage right now has to be the anti worker or guy garage, as it only has one outlet and one flourecent light. Dumbest thing I ever seen and PITA when it came to detailing in there. I'll keep everyone updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have the lights on a separate circuit from the outlets...it's something you think of when yours isn't equipped that way and you trip the breaker when you're polishing the car at night...ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Looking for ideas on new garage

I know the U Coat It system is available from your local supplier, but I would suggest looking at the Devcon and LocTite concrete sealers. They seem to hold up better. Also make sure you add some form of granules or sand to surface of the coating. That stuff can be slick... I have busted my A** a few times on a wet coated floor. I don't know how the U Coat it sealer holds up to chemicals but I know the Devcon works very well!

I think the floor drain is a good idea! Just don't forget to put in an oil/water separator as they may be looking for that during a final inspection.

A small window heat pump may set you back a few $$$ but well worth is in my opinion, or even find a small unit out of an old mobile home.

I recommend separate electrical for the lights and outlets as well. Also it sounds strange but I have found a few outlets in the ceiling to be useful. Plug in a few self retracting cord reels and maybe a work light with a reel to keep things out of the water.

A few pieces of pipe and some of the threaded wall mounts and unions make a great curtain rod. If you are going to be doing a lot of washing I would get some cheap shower curtains or some plastic and make some curtains.

I don't know what you have as far as ability to install a lift, but my friend dug a 7' deep by maybe 38" pit in the center of one of the bays you can walk down into for working under the car. Not as handy as a lift but it is great for changing fluids and such.

The same guy also has an exposed 10" I beam across the ceiling. Great if you want to put an electric hoist or chain fall for pulling engines, or lifting up your lawn mower with a few straps.

If it were my garage I would also look at putting in some vehicle exhaust vents in the door so I could hook up the hose and be able to run the car in the garage for any extended period of time.

Also if you have a compressor run permanent lines all over the place. I would even stick one out of the front and rear walls so I had access to air where ever I needed it and didn't have to move a compressor every time.

Good luck with the garage! Keep us posted.
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Kodiak Brown Metallic
    2004 Chevy Cavalier Burnt Orange Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh... and if you have the service available run some 220/230V single and 3-phase out there. Never know when you might want to put in a hot water pressure washer, hot water parts wash cabinet, or ultrasonic cleaner. Also what about a hot water heater and a utility sink??

Also how about some type of exhaust fans for the garage if you are using any nasty smelling chemicals.

Ahh to dream!!
    2013 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Kodiak Brown Metallic
    2004 Chevy Cavalier Burnt Orange Metallic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast