autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to cover vehicle and self when you can't pull in a garage

So here I am in the process of getting back in the game. Got good equipment, good garage storage. One problem: can't fit a car in the garage. Too narrow, too shallow.

So I'm reduced to either A.) finding a garage to use in another location which complicates things, or B.) figuring out a shelter of some kind for my driveway.

Ideally I'd like to be able to fit all but a full size truck under it (if I have to pull out and flip around midway I'm alright with that I guess), and it's got to be able to be put away when done so no permanent structure. One person setup is ideal but I could find a way around it.

Anybody have a similar setup at their place and what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to cover vehicle and self when you can't pull in a garage

I'm planning on buffing my brother's full-size truck under a pop-up canopy. Like your's, it's also too big to go in the garage.

I'd just like to find a way to weigh the canopy down so that it doesn't blow around if the wind picks up. I've seen some sandbags with velcro straps that wrap around the legs of the canopy. I think those would be ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have a fixed location, can't you build some kind of car port? If you don't want to build something out of wood or other sturdy material, you could always use a very large tarp (something like 20 X 20 and set that up using your garage as an anchor and using long posts. Having shade when mobile is quite and issue, but if you have a fixed location, there are tons of solutions you can use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    I'm planning on buffing my brother's full-size truck under a pop-up canopy. Like your's, it's also too big to go in the garage.

I'd just like to find a way to weigh the canopy down so that it doesn't blow around if the wind picks up. I've seen some sandbags with velcro straps that wrap around the legs of the canopy. I think those would be ideal.
    I've heard good things from people who find a way to secure the legs to 5gal buckets with water in them. With water at 7-8lb per gallon, should keep things pretty stable. I'm planning on doing it that way if I go pop up canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Since you have a fixed location, can't you build some kind of car port? If you don't want to build something out of wood or other sturdy material, you could always use a very large tarp (something like 20 X 20 and set that up using your garage as an anchor and using long posts. Having shade when mobile is quite and issue, but if you have a fixed location, there are tons of solutions you can use.
    Valid points, but I don't know if I fall under either category 100%. Yes, I do technically have a fixed location but my requirement for breakdown after the job kind of tips the gray area toward mobile shade requirements. I'm not looking to build a permanent structure, otherwise i'd have already gone the carport route. My driveway is pretty small, maybe 28 feet from the garage to the street and 24-25 on the other half to the left. Not really a ton of room to build anything like that.

Your tarp idea is along the lines of something I've been considering. Anchor some posts inside the garage, maybe to the garage door track while open, then extend out a couple of posts with the tarp attached and figure a way to anchor/weigh them down on the other end.

I'm looking into options for borrowing garage space where there is water and electric available. I think that's the simplest, albeit slightly less convenient (compared to doing it right at home) option. If that's a no-go then I'll have to start drawing up some plans I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried something like you are speaking of....bought a big tarp, 2 5 gal buckets and 2 4x4x8 posts. Put the posts in the buckets and then filled them about 3/4 with concrete...threw a couple of hooks into the face board of the garage and then stretched the tarp out....first good wind that came around caught the tarp from the under side and it all came crashing down...

Something I could have done different was to anchor the posts with some rope out into the yard and it would have most likely helped but I wanted something really quick to setup. Another thing that would have been helpful was to find a fabric that would allow the air to flow through it. I don't want to abandon the idea and I think it will work....just have to find the right combination of material. Working in the garage sucks!! no air flow...

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    I tried something like you are speaking of....bought a big tarp, 2 5 gal buckets and 2 4x4x8 posts. Put the posts in the buckets and then filled them about 3/4 with concrete...threw a couple of hooks into the face board of the garage and then stretched the tarp out....first good wind that came around caught the tarp from the under side and it all came crashing down...

Something I could have done different was to anchor the posts with some rope out into the yard and it would have most likely helped but I wanted something really quick to setup. Another thing that would have been helpful was to find a fabric that would allow the air to flow through it. I don't want to abandon the idea and I think it will work....just have to find the right combination of material. Working in the garage sucks!! no air flow...

Yeah, I mean I'm not looking necessarily for 100% weather coverage. I'm just more looking for shade than anything.

Maybe a couple of relief cuts in the tarp and melting the edges would have let enough air through to keep it from taking off?

Or maybe I should go get one of those 10x20 popup canopies from HF or the like and figure a way to rig one end to the garage similarly to how we're discussing the tarp idea? I have to assume that one of those 10x20 canopies securely attached to the structure of the garage and weighted down on the other end wouldn't go anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    Yeah, I mean I'm not looking necessarily for 100% weather coverage. I'm just more looking for shade than anything.
    Same here

Maybe a couple of relief cuts in the tarp and melting the edges would have let enough air through to keep it from taking off?
    That would most likely take care it

Or maybe I should go get one of those 10x20 popup canopies from HF or the like and figure a way to rig one end to the garage similarly to how we're discussing the tarp idea? I have to assume that one of those 10x20 canopies securely attached to the structure of the garage and weighted down on the other end wouldn't go anywhere.
    I've just found canopies to cumbersome to fool with by myself. If I had some help to spread it out then cool. 10x20...hmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

I've just found canopies to cumbersome to fool with by myself. If I had some help to spread it out then cool. 10x20...hmmmm

I agree, normally they are, but I'm wondering whether physically attaching to the structure of the garage on one end would effectively make it similar to having a second person pulling on a set of legs while you pull from the other end.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't hurt to give it a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Can't hurt to give it a shot
    Thinking this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-...opy-63054.html

Then somehow binding all the side pieces together into single pipe sections (between the arch sections I mean) and then maybe just taking those and the verticals out, and folding the arch sections and whole canopy together?

10x20 popups are big money. I almost wonder if I could get this thing and replace the side sections with single pieces of PVC or something like that.