autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Epoxy coating for garage floors

Hi all.. I want to get my home's garage coated with epoxy. The commercial floor coatings, Proseal Concrete Floor is near to our place. We are thinking to get it done by them. Before that I would like to know, how much good is the epoxy coating for floors? Is there any bad effects for it? Some of my friends told that there is no need to have an epoxy distributor for the purpose. It can do it by ourselves. Is that true? If so how can we do epoxy floor coating on the floor? Please give me reply

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epoxy coating for garage floors

There was a tread about floor coatings a while back. From what I remember I think they said cleaning and prep are extremely important and you may want to look into staining and sealing. I've seen many flaking garage floors that I believe we're epoxy coated.

I'm sure someone here will give you some good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Rustoleom makes a good product stay away from behr garage.They have had a lot of complaints in the epoxy sector.Honestly I would go with H&C xylene based coating its 23.99 a gallon at Home Depot .Get plenty of shark grip and a low gloss sealer xylene as well. Dilututed muriatic acid etches the concrete for good adhesion.sweep the acid into the concrete and rinse.Its better to use a pressure washer while etching.curing time could be up to a week,stuff really smells so protect yourself .

Post Thanks / Like

quick opinion is that either get the industrial coatings you see at car dealers or retail stores and and restaurants, etc. and pay extra for it or go DIY raised tiles. I've seen countless DIY Lowes or Home Depot versions peal up even when etched and prepped properly. The really good quality industrial ones like I mentioned last forever and are worth the extra costs incurred.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

H&C is a professional line I seem to think Home Depot deosnt carry it anymore.I think Sherwin Williams bought them out.any knowledgeable professional will tell you xylene base coatings are really durable.any other non xylene based coating are junk and will lift and peel.I have a lot of experience using this line.Trust me it's good as long as you do a complete prep the right way.If you are using xylene for your base,you have to stick with xylene sealer.you can't mix and match.stay away from water soluble products there junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    quick opinion is that either get the industrial coatings you see at car dealers or retail stores and and restaurants, etc. and pay extra for it or go DIY raised tiles. I've seen countless DIY Lowes or Home Depot versions peal up even when etched and prepped properly. The really good quality industrial ones like I mentioned last forever and are worth the extra costs incurred.
    Behr paints were sued from lifting coatings .

Post Thanks / Like

Can not emphasize how important prep work is, remove all oils and etching the concrete. Have to agree with pdqgp, go with industrial coatings are worth the extra money, this is something you do not want to do a second time.
    Do as much research as possible, check out garagejournal.com tons of people sharing info.
    Last take a look at tiles such as race deck, not for everyone but another option and EZ to install.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product called Rust Bullet that looks interesting to me. I saw it on the garage journal forum. I haven't done much research on it yet but it's supposed to be better than epoxy. It's a DIY product. No harsh chemicals to prep the floor and you can even install it in cold Temps. I think I figured around $500 or so for a 24x24 floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yg1829 View Post
    There is a product called Rust Bullet that looks interesting to me. I saw it on the garage journal forum. I haven't done much research on it yet but it's supposed to be better than epoxy. It's a DIY product. No harsh chemicals to prep the floor and you can even install it in cold Temps. I think I figured around $500 or so for a 24x24 floor.
    sounds promising as a quality product and quite expensive.But that's ok if it holds up.Its still a xylene product which is good,but would like to know more about it.site really deosnt really go into the formulation info.How ever it states if you get it on your skin it will take a week to remove it.application is quite labor intensive,lay your first coat then sand with 150 grit and apply the 2nd coat.all in all sounds like a durable product ,but for 500.00 I need to see user reviews.Theres only one negative review on it.But it was a spraying application promblem not the product itself.Good info on product thanks .

Post Thanks / Like

I did my garage floor 6 years ago with Rust Oleum Epoxy Shield Professional garage floor coating and the Premium Clear Coating on top. I have a 36' wide X 28' deep garage and completed the project for around $800.

I haven't had a single issue but like several others have mentioned, prep work is the key. I rented an orbital floor scrubber and used it to degrease and also to work the acid etching into the concrete. I've coated 3 garages with this stuff and they all look good several years later.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast