autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Corporate Aircraft

I am the Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet. We recently took delivery of a new aircraft. Having a new aircraft in the hangar really shows the poor condition of the paint on our other aircraft. The older aircraft are around five years old. They have never been polished or waxed. I recently purchased Flex DA polishers. I was wondering what clay, compounds, polishes, waxes would be recommended for use on Gulfstream aircraft.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Corporate Aircraft

Considering all the FAA regulations regarding everything from how to paint to corrosion potential, etc I'd check with what the plane manufacturer recommends before a bunch of polishing nerds on the internet. Just saying. I'm thinking on the polishing part the last thing I want to be in is a plane that has abrasives in the panel joints

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    Considering all the FAA regulations regarding everything from how to paint to corrosion potential, etc I'd check with what the plane manufacturer recommends before a bunch of polishing nerds on the internet. Just saying.
    We actually have quite a number of pro members who work on aircraft, not sure they should be characterized as "polishing nerds".

Citation CJ3 Jet Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    We actually have quite a number of pro members who work on aircraft, not sure they should be characterized as "polishing nerds".

Citation CJ3 Jet Detail
    Yes, and of course their opinion would be of more merit than the manufacturer? I think not. I would be remiss to say ANY recommendation off of some internet forum would carry less weight than a manufacturer, especially where Federal regulations may be in play. And who's to say that I couldn't take pictures of a dirty plane and claim it as detailed by me? Because it's on the internet does not make it true.

Fyi, "Polishing Nerd" was not meant in a derogatory sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and of course their opinion would be of more merit than the manufacturer? I think not. I would be remiss to say ANY recommendation off of some internet forum would carry less weight than a manufacturer, especially where Federal regulations may be in play. And who's to say that I couldn't take pictures of a dirty plane and claim it as detailed by me? Because it's on the internet does not make it true.
    Wow, I guess the whole premise of this forum must be stupid, all the members should just go to the glove compartment of their vehicle and look at what the mfr. says about car care.

I also think you are overthinking/overstating the FAA's involvement in how operators clean and maintain their aircraft.

As far as that last comment, I don't know what to say, I think you just insulted Anthony (whose thread I linked), as well as detailers like Jose Fernandez ( WOW! An amazing Mustang with over 1400 horsepower! ) and Bates Detailing ( Aircraft Detailing Video - Bates Detailing - Nashville TN )

Post Thanks / Like

I also think you are overthinking/overstating the FAA's involvement in how operators clean and maintain their aircraft.
    I don't.

"In addition, a typical program may also include a more in depth inspection of the exterior of a plane every 12-17 months to detect corrosion and cracks that are not visible to the naked eye using special technology. For this reason, many of the aircraft maintenance products used to repair, clean or polish an aircraft must be FAA-approved or certified for airline use"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, where's the list of approved products?

PS The FAA must be doing a pretty bad job of enforcing or training for this kind of thing if the OP, who is a "Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet" is here asking the question instead of going to the aircraft mfr. or simply going to the FAA's approved list of products to "repair, clean, or polish".

We had this little thing that started 35 years ago...it's called "deregulation". But even back in the regulated days there were no "polish police" roaming around hangars or ramps.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, where's the list of approved products?

Don't know and didn't bother to look. Here's a guess. Call the manufacturer of the plane because they know what it's made of and what it's painted with. Which was my recommendation now wasn't it?. But nooooooooo

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know and didn't bother to look. Here's a guess. Call the manufacturer of the plane because they know what it's made of and what it's painted with. Which was my recommendation now wasn't it?. But nooooooooo
    Why aren't you telling every poster to do the same thing with their automobile? When an aircraft leaves the factory it is rarely maintained by the factory. Just like an automobile, an aircraft departs into a world where it is serviced and maintained by a large aftermarket only loosely supervised by the manufacturer and regulatory agencies.

If you think differently, then you probably also think that taking knitting needles away from old ladies makes air travel safer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JetA View Post
    I am the Line Service Supervisor for a corporate aviation fleet. We recently took delivery of a new aircraft. Having a new aircraft in the hangar really shows the poor condition of the paint on our other aircraft. The older aircraft are around five years old. They have never been polished or waxed. I recently purchased Flex DA polishers. I was wondering what clay, compounds, polishes, waxes would be recommended for use on Gulfstream aircraft.
    I would skip the clay and go with a Speedy Prep towel

Compound: Meguiars M100

Polish: Meguiars M205

Wax: Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

Probably should get a rotary polisher (wool pad) for the really rough ones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast