autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amatuer using the Wolfgang/Porter Cable Swirl Free Kit. Nervous!

I just purchased the Wolfgang/Porter Cable Swirl Free Kit 3.0 that I'm planning to use on a 2012 black Roush Mustang. After two winters, 2 years of daily use, and 2 years worth of car washes, the paint is swirled, and scratched pretty decently.

This is my first time detailing at this caliber, i.e using a machine polish, swirl remover, etc. and after watching all the videos, and reading all the threads, I have a few questions before I actually start to work on my vehicle. By the way, I'm very very nervous on working on it since I don't want to do more damage than good.

1) Should I be concerned about burning/eating through my clearcoat/paint while using the Porter Cable? I've seen some threads where the owner claims that they've burned through the clearcoat.

2) For the swirl remover step, I was planning on using the orange pad that comes with the kit. Will that pad be to abrasive on the paint?

3) When doing my test spot, after I apply the swirl remover via porter cable and complete the 6 section passes, if the paint still has swirls/scratches, how should I proceed after that. Should I continue with more section passes, change pads, use more product?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amatuer using the Wolfgang/Porter Cable Swirl Free Kit. Nervous!

Tape off any edges you're nervous about (ie bood to fender gaps, door to fender gaps etc.). Keep the da moving, not too quickly but don't stop for too long, and keep your pad clean. If you're nervous about a deep scratch, just leave it be. The orange pad will most likely be fine just do a test spot like you've said. Most importantly, always inspect your work before you move on and take your time and enjoy it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did this for the first time as well two days ago on my black BMW 335i. You're not going to burn through the paint with the Porter. It was a lot of work but the car turned out great. Just watch the Mike Phillips video that comes with the Porter. He is very clear about how to do it. It's not complicated but it takes a lot of time to do it right. I also clayed first so for me this was an all day job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by top189h View Post
    Tape off any edges you're nervous about (ie bood to fender gaps, door to fender gaps etc.). Keep the da moving, not too quickly but don't stop for too long, and keep your pad clean. If you're nervous about a deep scratch, just leave it be. The orange pad will most likely be fine just do a test spot like you've said. Most importantly, always inspect your work before you move on and take your time and enjoy it.
    Will do, thanks for the tape off tip!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goodall View Post
    I just did this for the first time as well two days ago on my black BMW 335i. You're not going to burn through the paint with the Porter. It was a lot of work but the car turned out great. Just watch the Mike Phillips video that comes with the Porter. He is very clear about how to do it. It's not complicated but it takes a lot of time to do it right. I also clayed first so for me this was an all day job.
    Congrats man, I'm glad your car came out great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located, maybe a local guy with more knowledge can help you out.

Did you order more pads than what came with the kit. You will need to change them out every so often and clean them as you go

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post

Did you order more pads than what came with the kit. You will need to change them out every so often and clean them as you go

you will definitely need more than one or two of the same pads to do a complete vehicle. A lot of us are glad to help so like refresh stated if you let us know where you are you may be in luck.
    It's all in the details

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    you will definitely need more than one or two of the same pads to do a complete vehicle. A lot of us are glad to help so like refresh stated if you let us know where you are you may be in luck.

I actually did not order additional pads besides the three pads that come with the kit. I was under the assumption that if I just continued cleaning them using one of the method's outlined here that I'd be ok.

I'm located in New Jersey! Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

You will probably be ok with the pads you have. Its nice to have more pads, but not totally necessary. Yes, you do want to keep cleaning the pad on the fly so product does not build up.

The kit does not come with clay and you do want to clay or decontaminate the paint before you start polishing.

Watch the videos online. Keep the polisher moving, but slowly with constant pressure. It is difficult to burn through the clear coat with a da polisher. Do some test spots to make sure you get your technique down before you do the entire car.

Wolfgang products are fairly easy to use, and give great results. You should be able to amaze yourself once you are done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    You will probably be ok with the pads you have. Its nice to have more pads, but not totally necessary. Yes, you do want to keep cleaning the pad on the fly so product does not build up.

The kit does not come with clay and you do want to clay or decontaminate the paint before you start polishing.

Watch the videos online. Keep the polisher moving, but slowly with constant pressure. It is difficult to burn through the clear coat with a da polisher. Do some test spots to make sure you get your technique down before you do the entire car.

Wolfgang products are fairly easy to use, and give great results. You should be able to amaze yourself once you are done.
    I'll try and stick to using just one of each pad if I can, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep watching the video's to get the technique down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast