autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb here! best product to keep brake dust from sticking to the wheels?

Hi - i am new to this forum and need some help. I've done a search but can't seem to find an answer to my question on products that repel brake dust the best. I am going to remove the wheels from my 99F355 and clean the brake dust off of the inside of the them. I have never done it and I've had the car for 7 years (but only 7000 miles). Cleaning the brake dust is no problem (i have the Pinnacle Gel Cleaner), but i want to put some kind of brake dust "repellent" to prevent the brake dust from sticking to the inside of the wheels. If it does stick , i want to be able to hose it off with minimal brushing.
    Please give me some ideas on what product(s) to use? I have some DP wheel glaze that i thought i might use. How about coating that with some Klasse all in one topped off by the Klasse Sealant?

any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to pull the wheels off too often (I'm lazy). Many Thanks, ElSyd

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb here! best product to keep brake dust from sticking to the wheels?

Hey there Elsyd....there arent really products out there that "repel" the brake dust but there are several that prevent it from sticking and make it easy to clean with just soap and not harsh chemicals. I use PB Wheel Sealant Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax it can stand up to the harsh conditions that wheels take like heat or salt in the winter. All you need to take the brake dust off is your regular car wash soap and water...I have even used on bmw wheels a pressure washer and the dust just comes right off. Hope that helped

P.S. I do it once before the winter and once after the winter
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pockets. I have read a favorable review or tow on you Poorboy's product.. any other opinions out there in detail land? thx, ElSyd

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Wheel Wax for the past 3 months and have had great results. My wife's car creates massive amounts of break dust and I can now clean them with a hose and soft wheel brush.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, RSX. I read the reviews on the Wheel Wax and they were all 5 stars and just one 4 star. Sounds like either this or the PoorBoys are the way to go.
    any other input? thx, ElSyd

Post Thanks / Like

Get "ceramic" brake pads installed. I've been using them for close to ten years and will never go back. Even on a new car I immediately had them installed. Reduces brake dust 80% - 90% - especially on the front wheels. Other that that - "go chrome" and or install "WheelShields" (if it looks OK with your wheels) and use Poorboy's Wheel Sealant a couple times per year. The mechanics will moan and groan that "ceramic" is not recommended and "WheelShields" are "too hot". Don't listen to them.

Best Regards,

Martin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Martin. I have a Lotus that the previous owner had installed some Porterfield Brakes (don't know what they are made of). No brake dust ever. I have a Mercedes ML350 with stock brakes and the dust is just terrible.
    Maybe one day I'll "brake"down and get some ceramics when my ship comes in. Many thanks, ElSyd

Post Thanks / Like

Cost of "ceramic" is roughly 1.5X the cost of the "regular" brake dust pads. Installation cost is the same. It BY FAR the best solution to the brake dust issue and they last at least 1.5X as long on the front and easily 2X - 3X as long on the rear so over time not much difference in actual "cost". The "dust" issue difference is priceless. If you have "brushed aluminum" (or "alloy") wheels they can easily be "etched" beyond repair in a few years.

Martin
    Last edited by mfortier; 10-16-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin - any particular brand that you have been happy with? thx, Syd

Post Thanks / Like

Get ceramic brake pad, apply wheel wax, and spray on Eagle One brake dust repellent. The EO is a new product and I haved used it. Lasted for about 2 weeks. Did a good job, but leaves a haze.
    I do not know if AG will carry this someday.
    There is no place like 172.0.0.1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast