autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing tape residue from vinyl decal?

I bought a vinyl decal from china for a project on my car. The decal was rolled up in a tube and a piece of tape had been applied to keep it tight. Well the tape or adhesive or whatever from the tape absorbed into the vinyl and nothing I have tried will remove it. I have tried water, soapy water, rubbing alcohol, lacquer thinner, etc. I assume it cannot be fixed? It was custom measured and machine cut to fit and cost $100 I don't want to buy another one.

Removing tape residue from vinyl decal?-imagejpeg_0-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing tape residue from vinyl decal?

I once contacted Xpel customer support to ask them how to remove tape adhesive residue that was stuck to PPF. They recommended a product called Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover. I think you can order it on Amazon. It is designed to remove adhesive residue off of decals, vinyl wraps, and PPF.

One other idea-you may want to try alcohol based hand sanitizer. Place some hand sanitizer on the adhesive residue, let it dwell for 4 or 5 minutes, then rub it off with a microfiber. You might have to reapply 2 or 3 times.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing tape residue from vinyl decal?

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    I once contacted Xpel customer support to ask them how to remove tape adhesive residue that was stuck to PPF. They recommended a product called Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover. I think you can order it on Amazon. It is designed to remove adhesive residue off of decals, vinyl wraps, and PPF.

One other idea-you may want to try alcohol based hand sanitizer. Place some hand sanitizer on the adhesive residue, let it dwell for 4 or 5 minutes, then rub it off with a microfiber. You might have to reapply 2 or 3 times.
    There is no residue on the decal as far as i can tell. It seems like it is oil or something that has seeped into the material. I actually had an xpel shop install this and they could not remove the marks.