autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are you a detailing purger or a hoarder

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    For me this is an interest, a hobby, not my work. So much like anyone in a hobby, part of the fun or enjoyment is researching, buying/ordering stuff, waiting to get it, using a new toy.
    So I am similar to you, I probably have too much. Lol. But I also don't own golf clubs, a snowmobile (anymore), fishing/boating, etc. So I still don't have $$$ amounts near some of those other hobbies or interests. I think we're good
    Ummm........ UH oh.

I probably have close to 3K in fishing gear. But then again I live on Eastern Long Island. STOP JUDGING ME!!

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Ummm........ UH oh.

I probably have close to 3K in fishing gear. But then again I live on Eastern Long Island. STOP JUDGING ME!!

Good friend of mine was a big fisherman. He'd go to Bass Pro Shops with his son and buy stuff and - every single time - at least one new tackle box. He must have bought at least half a dozen new tackle boxes or more every year. Of course once you have a new, empty, tackle box you need more lures . . . and maybe a newer Rapala . . . and so on and so on, LOL.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit of a hoarder, it's a hobby for me as well, so I like to try new stuff before I finish the old stuff. I downgrade the usage of stuff as I get better stuff. I still have some Mother's California Gold car wash that I keep for things like washing my golf clubs. MFs get downgraded from paint to glass to wheels and undercarriage, eventually they're no good for anything, that's when they are finally thrown out. Product only gets thrown out if it becomes useless, I had some Gyeon Wetcoat go off, and some Scholl S3 separate, they went in the bin. As long as I have the space I'll hang on to stuff, but the shelves are pretty full.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

6. Likes Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every so often I will go thru my stuff and dispose of what I will never use.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I guess by definition I'm a "hoarder".

But there are very few products I do not use on my vehicles.

I like to keep a few kinds of car soaps on hand, and I have 3-4 brands of rinseless washes and two brands of clay plus two kinds of synthetic clay. I also have on hand OCW (spray) DG AquaWax,
    Meg's W/W and Wax, Griot's 3-in-1, and P&S Dream-Maker to name most of them. I'm a Collinite fan, so I keep 476S and 845 on hand at all times, and little else.

I have pretty much settled on Griot's BOSS creams as my go-to polishes, but I do have and use 3D ONE, and will always keep 3D Speed on hand. (I absolutely LOVE Speed.)

The "duds" that I bought during my "going down the rabbit hole" days are saved to use on my lawn equipment. Among those are P&S Bead-Maker (not bad, but not great) and Collinite 520 QD (awful).

I guess you can say I am pad hoarder. I think I probably have upward of 45-50 pads.

Oh, and 5 polishers.

So yeah, I have problems. But I'm trying to get better................
    It's ok mate, you are in safe company here.

9. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I'm a hoarder, as that tends to imply I'm stocking up on things in case I run out (unlikely ).

I do have a LOT of stuff though, most of which gets used on rotation. And yes, I am down that rabbit hole, happily so. Do I need 22 different tire dressings, absolutely not. Do I enjoy having the choice, you bet! For me, it's so exciting going out to the garage, opening the cabinet and choosing which products I will use. Will it be Reset, GSF or Incredible Suds? Or maybe Swift or Mega Foam? Oh, the possibilities...............and the dilemma.

Dud products are harder to deal with. They cost me money, but I didn't enjoy using them. So why keep them? I'm getting better at purging cr_p products, either by giving them away, using them on other people's cars, or just throwing them into the trash. Some products work very well at cleaning the trash cans at the end of the week.

11. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've hoarded a lot of product.

Ever since I was a kid and found out drum sticks, heads, and cymbals break - and Dad wasn't going to help replace them, I got really good at stockpiling. I did the same with my detailing supplies.

Good news is that I've whittled down a LOT of stuff. I'm going to continue until I have a very abbreviated, yet comprehensive array of tools / supplies.

13. Likes Big Dave, DFB, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ummm........ UH oh.

I went down the bass fishing rabbit hole last year. Ended up with some Megabass P5 rods at $500 a wack and custom made Japanese lures that were $60 a piece. You get those hung up and you dive in after them. I’ve eased up on my fishing gear, but not on the detailing stuff. I like to buy quality and the best for a certain scenario.

But, right now I’m eyeballing a Beta 300rr Race Edition to ride while my wife drives the kids on the side by side. It never ends with me. I get OCD on stuff and it’s all I think about and research until the next thing comes along. I hate it. I’m never content

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

Im more of a hoarder but im trying to work on that.

I tend to hoard the items that I got when I first got into detailing that you cant get any more or have good memories about or got a good deal on. Yeah. Its a mental issue.

But, products have gotten so much better nowadays, more efficient, easier to use, more effective, so no practical use in keeping them around.

Im revamping the garage so I can get all my supplies out there, so its forcing me to purge things, which is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a hoarder. I pretty much only have 1 bottle of stuff and what I do have I use regularly. There are a few things I rarely use on my shelves, but not too much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast