autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t understand buffing pad colors

I recently got a set of 3" buffing/polishing pads off Amazon and I need to get a better understanding about how to use them in general. If there's a tutorial out there that explains them I'd appreciate a link.

I don't have the chart in front of me right now, but I believe the instructions that came with them indicated the orange foam pad was for harder cutting, the blue and yellow foam pads would be for medium cutting/polishing, and the black and white foam pads are for fine polishing. Do all foam polishing pads follow this same color / grade code regardless of the manufacturer?
    'If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later.' ~ Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don`t understand buffing pad colors

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
    I recently got a set of 3" buffing/polishing pads off Amazon and I need to get a better understanding about how to use them in general. If there's a tutorial out there that explains them I'd appreciate a link.

I don't have the chart in front of me right now, but I believe the instructions that came with them indicated the orange foam pad was for harder cutting, the blue and yellow foam pads would be for medium cutting/polishing, and the black and white foam pads are for fine polishing. Do all foam polishing pads follow this same color / grade code regardless of the manufacturer?
    That's the problem with buffing pads..there is no universal color code. What you have above is close to most popular brands.

3. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes bradleyheathhays, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget about the colors they're all over the place. What really matters is how the pad feels. Stiffer pads have more cut and softer pads have less cut.

5. Likes Danube, bradleyheathhays liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    Forget about the colors they're all over the place. What really matters is how the pad feels. Stiffer pads have more cut and softer pads have less cut.
    Siffer pads have less pores per square inch and softer pads have more pores per square inch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    That's the problem with buffing pads..there is no universal color code. What you have above is close to most popular brands.
    To make things worse, some vendors even vary their color schemes between product lines! I haven't bought pads in a while, but from what I remember Lake Country isn't very consistent. Flat and ThinPro were the same, but other lines were very different.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes Rsurfer, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd be better off trying to figure out what what makes a woman happy or angry on any given day......

The best way I have found is just to go to each companies website and read up on the differences and/or take notes.

A real PITA in my opinion, but I do not see an "industry-wide" push to standardize pad coloring on the horizon anytime soon. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.