autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to Me Car - Considering a DIY Ceramic Coating

Folks,

I just purchased a new to me, 2019 Audi A7 with 22K miles on it. The color is Firmament Blue. I got a few estimates for ceramic coatings but kinda would like to do the work myself. My concern is that I have zero experience working with coatings or doing any sort of paint correction. I've never worked with a machine buffer, either. While the car is in excellent condition, there are swirls, paint chips, etc, as to be expected on a 4-year-old car. My worry is ruining the appearance and paint of my car due to lack of experience, but the DIYer in me wants to tackle this project.

I've narrowed down the coatings to a possible 2- Adam's or Gyeon, but certainly open to others if they are easier to work with.

Can a novice with zero paint correction and ceramic experience pull this off? Do I need heaters and a zero-dust environment to make this work? Can it be done in the typical home garage without any issues?

I appreciate any advice!

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Me Car - Considering a DIY Ceramic Coating

You don’t need to do pain correction to apply a coating. You do need to thoroughly clean the surface. You will need to use a clay bar to rid the surface of bonded contaminants. If the surface has a rough or gritty feel, you need to use clay bar. If you are happy with the condition of the paint, just clean and apply coating. I have used both Gyeon Mohs and Gyeon Pure. Both are very easy to apply and remove.
    With Pure, you can apply to a full panel or two before removing. With Mohs, you apply, wait for coating to”sweat or bead” then remove. This process only takes 30-60 seconds. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of Optimum Gloss Coat. I use it because it holds up well and is easy to use. It also looks great on the paint!

But I've been really impressed with the Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating. Holds up great, easy to apply and remove, and in one ongoing test repels dirt better than Cquartz UK 3.0 / Gliss combo.

That being said, I also really like the CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0, Gliss, and Lite. I just done care for actually using them.

Where I work I have to apply glass bottle coatings and I absolutely hate it. I'd rather clean toilets

5. Likes CleanIT, Bdubbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 757CA View Post
    Folks,

I just purchased a new to me, 2019 Audi A7 with 22K miles on it. The color is Firmament Blue. I got a few estimates for ceramic coatings but kinda would like to do the work myself. My concern is that I have zero experience working with coatings or doing any sort of paint correction. I've never worked with a machine buffer, either. While the car is in excellent condition, there are swirls, paint chips, etc, as to be expected on a 4-year-old car. My worry is ruining the appearance and paint of my car due to lack of experience, but the DIYer in me wants to tackle this project.

I've narrowed down the coatings to a possible 2- Adam's or Gyeon, but certainly open to others if they are easier to work with.
    Congrats on the new purchase. Polishing is not hard. Tedious but not hard.

Which Adams coating and which Gyeon coating? There are a couple options for each brand.

Can a novice with zero paint correction and ceramic experience pull this off?
    Yes.

Do I need heaters and a zero-dust environment to make this work?
    No

Can it be done in the typical home garage without any issues?
    Yes

7. Likes BudgetPlan1, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a friend with a junk car that you can try buffing using compound and polish ? What buffer will you use?
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

For Adam's I was considering the Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced. For Gyeon I'm thinking the Q2 Pure Evo.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Do you have a friend with a junk car that you can try buffing using compound and polish ? What buffer will you use?
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have a car I could test out with. Maybe I could sneak a try with my wife's Subaru Outback! I also have figured out which buffer to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

For Adam's I was considering the Graphene Ceramic Coating Advanced. For Gyeon I'm thinking the Q2 Pure Evo.
    Good choices but I'd also highly recommend Can Coat Evo. Doesn't get much easier and holds up well.

Megs hybrid paint coating and Optimum Gloss Coat are also very user friendly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Good choices but I'd also highly recommend Can Coat Evo. Doesn't get much easier and holds up well.

Megs hybrid paint coating and Optimum Gloss Coat are also very user friendly.
    Thanks. Can Coat looks pretty good too.

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a coating guy but I did recently use Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating and I can't imagine anything being easier to apply. For a first-timer, I would definitely recommend you give it some consideration. The results looked great, the finish was as slick (or better) than anything I've ever used, and after about three months it is holding up well with great self-cleaning properties.

New to Me Car - Considering a DIY Ceramic Coating-20230105_103256resized-jpg

15. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast