autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Failed PPF has mold under it. Contacted a shop. Need removal advice.

I have a 2011 CTS V that I bought that already had PPF on the front clip of unknown brand and age but assuming its when the original owner did all the engine work on the car, is likely about 5 years old. Well last summer I started getting a LOT of spots towards the bottom of the film that I original mistook for some kind of road film or sap on top of the film. Welp, it was a lot worse. Due to either the SC humidity or just poor quality/application, the film has mold under it and per advice here the only way to get it off is to redo the film. And of course its spread to where now the front of the car looks like I just drove through a puddle of gravy.

I went to a local shop here with a reasonable installation cost of new PPF but they informed me that due to the age that its possible the film may come off in pieces instead of as an entire sheet. Worse yet, they said it could even take paint with it. They mentioned possibly checking out a body shop for removal before bringing the car to apply their film. My question is has anyone who regularly applies PPF heard of this issue? How old is the film when this is a concern? And the big one- have any of you actually had paint come off as well? I'm basically trying to gauge if this is a 'we don't really want to mess with this customer because it may be involved' or if this is a very valid concern. And if I take it to a bodyshop, call me cynical but it seems they'd almost have an incentive to say paint was removed just so they could respray the front of the car.

As far as the PPF shop, I don't mean to portray them as not wanting my business. They were helpful and were clear they were just trying to set expectations since the cost of removal could quickly become not worth it. But at the same time you want to book easy work and not something involved, right?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Failed PPF has mold under it. Contacted a shop. Need removal advice.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern, in addition to those already stated, is that the paint will be stained beneath the film not to mention the probable color shift, in general, that has occurred during the time the film was installed. Only one way to find out.

If I were to proceed, I'd expect the worse and hope for the best, understanding there's no guarantees. It may well end up being more involved than simply removing and replacing the film. There's a pretty good chance some paint work may be required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My concern, in addition to those already stated, is that the paint will be stained beneath the film not to mention the probable color shift, in general, that has occurred during the time the film was installed. Only one way to find out.

If I were to proceed, I'd expect the worse and hope for the best, understanding there's no guarantees. It may well end up being more involved than simply removing and replacing the film. There's a pretty good chance some paint work may be required.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Their advice is valid. I dunno about -older- films but the rough timeline is 7-8 years before recommend removal. After that, apparently, PPF manuf. state that the adhesive of the PPF becomes a **superbond** to the paint. Add the variable that you are also not the original owner, if there was bodywork/repaint done, a higher chance of paint lifting as well

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to tell how it's going to remove due to its age and how it may have been installed. Steam is the way to go. Pull towards you not back over it. It should start to release. If it is brittle it won't budge and you'll know quickly. Can't hurt to try given the way it looks now. Worst case to get it painted right $700-900 for the bumper.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)