autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New car coming in - I have a few questions

Hi everyone,

I have a new car coming in and wanted to know what is actually needed and what isn't. I have a lot of things already but want to pick up a few things in red. I will do this in order of the process of how I want to do things.

1. Wash the car thoroughly - regular soap although I do here good things about CarPro Reset for future washes
    https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-reset.html

2. Clay with using a Clay Mitt - using either a wet car/soap or detail spray
    https://www.autogeek.net/speed-master-clay-mitt.html

3. Remove any Iron using IronX
    https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

4. Use Essence Extreme with a white pad on my portercable for minor correction

5. CarPro Eraser - probably not needed because I would be using Cquartz on the next step in the same direction I did the Essence but then again I would want a clean car with no dust

6. Cquartz SiC or Cquartz UK 3.0, I am in Southern California so don't really think UK 3.0 is necessary or
    is a graphene coating worth it?
    https://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-kit.html

7. Gyeon Quartz Q2 For trim

CarPro Flyby30 for the glass - might do this later when I can take the wheels off and clean individually
    https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-flyby30-glass-coating.html

9. Wheels - Use an old Cquartz bottle to ceramic the alloy wheels and then any tire dressing

10. Interior - use 303 interior Cleaner and Protectant
    https://www.autogeek.net/search-magic.html?query=303+interior
    303 Automotive Protectant

11. Wash a week later and maintain with CarPro Booster

Questions:
    1. Is the CarPro Eraser really needed?
    2. Do I need CarPro FlyBy30?
    3. If I don't have enough room in my garage to let it cure, can I leave it out overnight? Is there another option?
    4. My garage is pretty dusty would it ruin the ceramic if dust gets on the car after I have already wiped the ceramic coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car coming in - I have a few questions

1- Great soap.
    2- Should be fine but this is used after Iron X, not before.
    3- Cover your nose and use this before the clay mitt.
    4- Essence is great, not a lot of correction though, especially with a white pad. Your paint better be damn near perfect already or be super soft, otherwise this will amp up the gloss but not correct much.
    5- Yes, you need Eraser even when using Essence.
    6- UK is easier to work with in my opinion. Also lasts longer. But SiC is slicker. If you're not layering them (1 coat of each), then I think UK would be my choice. Forget about Graphene gimmick, it's really just the same coating with some graphene oxide powder added to it. Not worth it.
    7- Q2 Trim or CarPro Dlux are both great for trim. There is some opinions out there one shouldn't coat brand new trim due to outgassing. I've done it several times and never had issues.
    8- I've only tried FlyBy Forte before and it was a pain in the butt to apply. I'm currently linking Gyeon Quick View due to how easy it is to apply.
    9- You can use any coating that would be used on paint if your wheels are clear coated. If you got Dlux for trim, that is also a great wheel coating.
    10- 303 works fine. I find it a little too shiny but it's a good product.
    11- No experience with that product but should be fine to use.

You want to try and keep it dry all night, if it's outside, choose a time of the year that there is no dew on the cars. Dust is also not a good thing, I always cleaned my garage really well before a coating job.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks Stride thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, Stride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    1- Great soap.
    2- Should be fine but this is used after Iron X, not before.
    3- Cover your nose and use this before the clay mitt.
    4- Essence is great, not a lot of correction though, especially with a white pad. Your paint better be damn near perfect already or be super soft, otherwise this will amp up the gloss but not correct much.
    5- Yes, you need Eraser even when using Essence.
    6- UK is easier to work with in my opinion. Also lasts longer. But SiC is slicker. If you're not layering them (1 coat of each), then I think UK would be my choice. Forget about Graphene gimmick, it's really just the same coating with some graphene oxide powder added to it. Not worth it.
    7- Q2 Trim or CarPro Dlux are both great for trim. There is some opinions out there one shouldn't coat brand new trim due to outgassing. I've done it several times and never had issues.
    8- I've only tried FlyBy Forte before and it was a pain in the butt to apply. I'm currently linking Gyeon Quick View due to how easy it is to apply.
    9- You can use any coating that would be used on paint if your wheels are clear coated. If you got Dlux for trim, that is also a great wheel coating.
    10- 303 works fine. I find it a little too shiny but it's a good product.
    11- No experience with that product but should be fine to use.

You want to try and keep it dry all night, if it's outside, choose a time of the year that there is no dew on the cars. Dust is also not a good thing, I always cleaned my garage really well before a coating job.

Thanks for the reply. A few more follow-up questions:

1. What would you say is the level of correction/ cutting power that would be better to start with for a pretty new car? Like Scratch X2.0 with an orange pad?
    2. Can the Gyeon Quick View be put on headlights?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you let the dealer " prep" your car. Otherrwise there shouldn't be any swirls or marr ing in the paint. I was able to get my car like this even right off the lot because I didn't let the dealer touch the paint. Saves you a whole lot of work and grief in terms of you having to correct. And we all know how thin clear coats are on new cars.

If you haven't gotten the car yet, insist the dealer not touch the paint.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stride View Post

1. What would you say is the level of correction/ cutting power that would be better to start with for a pretty new car? Like Scratch X2.0 with an orange pad?
    What car is it? Just so we can guess how hard the clear coat is.
    I think Essence is fine, but might need an orange pad (if we’re talking lake country here). But if it’s soft paint then white will likely suffice. Scratch X is no good IMO.
    Use whatever coating you’re putting on the paint on the headlight. Quick view just on the glass.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    What car is it? Just so we can guess how hard the clear coat is.
    I think Essence is fine, but might need an orange pad (if we’re talking lake country here). But if it’s soft paint then white will likely suffice. Scratch X is no good IMO.
    Use whatever coating you’re putting on the paint on the headlight. Quick view just on the glass.
    Good to know, I was just saying something around that strength. The car is a 2023 Honda Civic Type R in boost blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car. Where in So Cal are you?

Hi everyone,

I have a new car coming in and wanted to know what is actually needed and what isn't. I have a lot of things already but want to pick up a few things in red. I will do this in order of the process of how I want to do things.

1. Wash the car thoroughly - regular soap although I do here good things about CarPro Reset for future washes
    Good option to prep and maintain the coating.

2. Clay with using a Clay Mitt - using either a wet car/soap or detail spray
    Speed Master Clay Mitt
    This is fine with either product. Feel the surface first to see if it needs to be clayed or not. If not this step can be skipped.

3. Remove any Iron using IronX
    Iron X Iron Remover
    Any iron remover will work just fine. Be aware that ironx tends to dry a bit quicker than other iron removers. The lemon scented version is the original version that does not dry as fast.

4. Use Essence Extreme with a white pad on my portercable for minor correction
    Essence is not the most aggressive polish but the sledge hammer is not always needed. If you are happy with the finish after doing this then finish it off. Everyone's idea of perfect paint is different.

5. CarPro Eraser - probably not needed because I would be using Cquartz on the next step in the same direction I did the Essence but then again I would want a clean car with no dust
    Still recommended to wipe after essence. Eraser is also not able to be shipped to California anymore.

6. Cquartz SiC or Cquartz UK 3.0, I am in Southern California so don't really think UK 3.0 is necessary or is a graphene coating worth it?
    CQUARTZ Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQUARTZ nano coating, nano paint sealant
    Either one of these will work just fine in California. UK will be more durable. The other option is one layer of UK topped with one layer of SiC. If you go with SiC be sure to follow the directions and not top it with Reload after the initial application as it will damage the coating. For maintenance it is ok.

With regards to a graphene coating being worth it, you will have to try one out and see if it is. It is another variation of a coating.

7. Gyeon Quartz Q2 For trim
    I have moved away from using a coating on trim. The reason being is that the trim will still fade and when it comes to restoration time it won't work as the ceramic material has clogged the pores. If you must use a coating then I would recommend Poorboys Tri coating. Much better than Gyeon Trim and CarPro DLUX.

8. CarPro Flyby30 for the glass - might do this later when I can take the wheels off and clean individually
    CARPRO FlyBy30 Windshield And Glass Coating Kit
    I would recommend P&S Inspiration Vue. It costs more but it performs better than anything CarPro offers for glass.

9. Wheels - Use an old Cquartz bottle to ceramic the alloy wheels and then any tire dressing
    If you stick with only one of the above mentioned coatings then get the 50 ml bottle and coat the wheels with what is left over. If you go with the option of using both coatings on the paint then you will definitely have enough product of each to coat the wheels. And no you do not need a dedicated wheel coating.

10. Interior - use [COLOR=#ff0000]303 interior Cleaner and Protectant
    Search Results
    303 Automotive Protectant
    With your car being new all you need is an interior detailer.

11. Wash a week later and maintain with [COLOR=#ff0000]CarPro Booster

Well there is no product called CarPRo Booster. But they do make Elixir which is a good product to maintain any of the coatings.

1. Is the CarPro Eraser really needed?
    Yes a panel wipe is still recommended by CarPro.

2. Do I need CarPro FlyBy30?
    As I mentioned P&S makes a superior dedicated glass coating to this. You could actually use UK or SiC on side and rear glass. Either will not last long on the front glass if the wipers are used often.

3. If I don't have enough room in my garage to let it cure, can I leave it out overnight? Is there another option?
    Leaving it in the garage would be the best option and you want to avoid the coating getting wet which includes morning dew. Another option is coat early in the day to allow it to cure as long as possible before the end of the day. Your car is not that big so it will fit.

4. My garage is pretty dusty would it ruin the ceramic if dust gets on the car after I have already wiped the ceramic coating?
    No it will not.

10. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, I was just saying something around that strength. The car is a 2023 Honda Civic Type R in boost blue.
    I'm not sure if Honda and Acura use the same paints, but my black Acura's paint seemed extremely soft when I polished it. Insanely scratch sensitive. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in and confirm if this is the case with Honda too.

Either way, definitely communicate to the dealer not to wash it when they prep it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! If the paint on that is like the rest of the Hondas, it’s soft so it will correct easily. Start with that least aggressive method and it might just work great.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa! What an awesome car! I was a big fan of the previous gen and this new one looks fantastic. You're very fortunate to even get your hands on one.

You probably can, but since you're already going to coat the paint with CQUK, I'd just use that. When I coat my vehicles I apply the coating to paint, sunroof (if it has one) and the lights, both front and rear.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast