autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie here, do I need iron remover before clay?

Just got a new, used truck. I plan to clay, then apply wolfgang uder sio2 silica spray.
    Been reading quite a bit and wonder if I need the iron x before clay?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie here, do I need iron remover before clay?

Quote Originally Posted by MatloccAllison1 View Post
    Just got a new, used truck. I plan to clay, then apply wolfgang uder sio2 silica spray.
    Been reading quite a bit and wonder if I need the iron x before clay?
    Let me state im no expert, but imo/some experiecnce using it also from what ive gathered from reading/being on here for 2 years now....it is NOT a nessesity. Epecially if one were going to do any paint correction.

But it can be beneficial in not all but certain senarios. Most notable during a decon regimen for ceramic coated vehicles. Also i will use it on customer vehicles as most are neglected when they come to me.

Do you own/plan on doing any type of paint correction to this truck? What is the state of the paint...meaning is it swirled out or pretty perfect paint? You are aware that you will most likey get some sort of micro marring from claying?

Also kind of matters too on how you plan on caring for said vehicle...wash methods, products used and such.

If you are just looking to smooth out the surface a bit and apply some protection and go no further with it, then i say No to iron remover.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion... No!

Claying will remove all "bonded" surface contaminants, including iron particles. Provided that assumption is correct, and I believe it is, an iron removing chemical is not absolutely necessary. Here's a link to a thread by Eldo where he did a 50/50 test that illustrates that point quite clearly. Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test

That is not to say that iron removers do not work or are not sometimes desired, but it does provide evidence that they are not always absolutely necessary.

I don't buy into the premise that iron particles are so deeply embedded into the surface that they will not be completely removed during claying and an iron removing chemical is necessary to completely remove them. They are just like any other contaminant that has "stuck" to the surface and will be removed during claying.

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes opie, SNP209 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Saved me 38 dollars! The paint is in very good condition. I am going no further than wash, clay, wg sio2 then admire!
    No idea on a wash routine yet. Waiting for winter to end before jumping into this. I am in northern Michigan and it doesn't really warm up until June!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My opinion... No!
    You were the first person i thought of when i read the op question. Remebering your stance on the topic i was hoping you would provide some input.

Ive only ever used a fine clay, nothing more agressive than that so...Honest question in your opinion would the fine grade clay remove all iron contaiminants?

I would think it would depend on how heavy and bonded the contaminants are to weither a iron remover could assist in said senario.

I should try a more agressive clay next time b4 a paint correction to see how much better it works compared to fine clay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    You were the first person i thought of when i read the op question. Remebering your stance on the topic i was hoping you would provide some input.

Ive only ever used a fine clay, nothing more agressive than that so...Honest question in your opinion would the fine grade clay remove all iron contaiminants?

I would think it would depend on how heavy and bonded the contaminants are to weither a iron remover could assist in said senario.

I should try a more agressive clay next time b4 a paint correction to see how much better it works compared to fine clay

Lately, I've always been using a more aggressive clay if I'm going to be polishing. It's just so much faster and easier. Will the fine clay work? Probably yes, but it will take more effort.

Save the fine clay for touch-up's and less severely contaminated vehicles that you don't plan on polishing.

9. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, PaulMys, opie, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MatloccAllison1 View Post
    Thank you! Saved me 38 dollars! The paint is in very good condition. I am going no further than wash, clay, wg sio2 then admire!
    No idea on a wash routine yet. Waiting for winter to end before jumping into this. I am in northern Michigan and it doesn't really warm up until June!
    Just keep in mind that claying can induce marring if you're not careful........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes opie, DFB, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Lately, I've always been using a more aggressive clay if I'm going to be polishing. It's just so much faster and easier. Will the fine clay work? Probably yes, but it will take more effort.

Save the fine clay for touch-up's and less severely contaminated vehicles that you don't plan on polishing.
    Thanks i will do that, appriciate it. Great to always have experienced hands with have way more knowledge than I have amassed thus far.

I have a screnshot pic of megs clays that eldo posted up a long while ago that he uses. I have not yet purchased them but will get them on my next order.

13. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If not polishing after claying I would iron remove.

Why not remove as much contamination before you wipe a clay or clay alternative across your paint?

Less chance of added marring from claying process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes DFB, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion of iron remover....no. But clay or clay towel yes.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast