autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How are spray and rinse sealants like HydrO2 legal?

I could understand a contained product like a spray wax or tar remover having these warnings, but not a spray and rinse sealant that's routinely washed down driveways, drains, etc. How are companies able to sell products like this in the US?

How are spray and rinse sealants like HydrO2 legal?-screenshot-2022-12-02-102202-jpg

2. Thanks CleanIT, PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, jcdata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How are spray and rinse sealants like HydrO2 legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahnd View Post
    I could understand a contained product like a spray wax or tar remover having these warnings, but not a spray and rinse sealant that's routinely washed down driveways, drains, etc. How are companies able to sell products like this in the US?

How are spray and rinse sealants like HydrO2 legal?-screenshot-2022-12-02-102202-jpg
    It's a good question, but as non-chemist I can't answer that. This is why I often think some of the coatings and products coming out of Asia are not as eco-friendly as brands like 3D and OPT. Most people don't care enough about it unfortunately. Out of sight out of mind until it comes back to give you a disease.

4. Likes chilly, bob m, dlc95, PouncingPanzer, jcdata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We can always live in the stone-age.

Some of these "reporting" regulations are so over-the-top. Here in California Prop 65 is a perfect example. Every store you walk into has a warning plastered on or near the door that there may be products in the store that may cause cancer.

What happens when EVERYTHING has a warning associated to it??? The warnings become universally ignored by the vast majority.

I understand the need for some regulation of hazardous materials, but there are too many instances where the EPA has run amuck. The question posed here may very well fall into that category.

6. Likes Flash Gordon, TTQ B4U, opie, DAC17, craigdt and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“These really are harmful chemicals to yourself and the environment. Most contain HF which is really bad in all cases.
    The caveat is that you will use these in a far diluted manner or sparingly.
    But even so, you should avoid contact with your skin and inhaling mist.
    If you were a commercial carwash - then yes there are probably much more stringent requirements.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Like I've mentioned in some other threads, I grew up working in the autobody/painting world. In that world there are many "health hazards" associated with the products used and the working environment. Generally speaking, the hazards associated with "most" detailing products and working environments are child's play in comparison.

I have never entered into a "detailing" task with any concerns for my health. The likely reason is that "detailing" health hazards rate pretty low on my hazard hierarchy based on my previous experiences.

9. Likes Flash Gordon, CleanIT, DAC17, dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It's not something I get alarmed about. In aggregate to the environment, I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m all for ethical treatment of all living things and the environment, I’m also an adult male of reason. If you can tell me how an ounce or so diluted down then wash away with even more water can impact the pond 1000 feet from me then I will gladly stand by your side. I’d say that most of it will dry on my drive before it ever hit the curb. As far as not knowing what the aggregate on the environment is I’m sure someone like the op will be along shortly to educate all of us on how we are bad human beings and must atone for our actions.

12. Likes CleanIT, SameGuy, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You’ll detail a dude’s car with expensive, environmentally-friendly products and feel good about yourself, and the dude will come and pick it up and mat the pedal on that 5.7 L hemi and lay down two 40 foot long strips of rubber as he leaves your driveway… Yeah I’m OK with the products I’m using.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

As a prime example of the bureaucratic stupidity of our functionaries: the government has banned all residential pesticides where I live, but the golf course down the street is allowed to spray as much Mecoprop, Dicamba and 2,4-D as they want.
    Francesco

15. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    It's a good question, but as non-chemist I can't answer that. This is why I often think some of the coatings and products coming out of Asia are not as eco-friendly as brands like 3D and OPT. Most people don't care enough about it unfortunately. Out of sight out of mind until it comes back to give you a disease.
    A huge reason I use 3D and Opti such is because the Opti coating, Power Clean, and the 3D buffing liquids don't irritate my sinuses.

I like that Gloss Coat doesn't make my applicator or leveling towels ready for the trash bin.

My old bottles of Menzerna FG400 give me a headache when I use it. Many of their products say not to introduce to water ways as there are ingredients that they or a governing body has deemed harmful to aquatic life..

When I was working at a car wash back in the 90's we had this wheel cleaner.... It would sting the sinuses, eyes, anything that wasn't protected by skin!

17. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast