autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing the ceramic coating before PPF is applied?

So a high end local installer using Xpel Ultimate Plus told me they don't need to remove the ceramic coating, they will just "adjust the adhesion" to make it more sticky to the paint, that is interesting to hear and I am not all too sure about that.

I was going to use Sonax Perfect Finish to take it off myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing the ceramic coating before PPF is applied?

So they will spray glass cleaner on it........

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you/he feels comfortable from a warranty perspective...As the film settles, u will need to do a round 2 visit 3-4 weeks out from initial install to trim/reglue lifted edges, etc that may occur as she cures and shifts a smidge

Post Thanks / Like

What they told you is correct. Ppf also hides imperfections so there's really no need to polish.
    Having said that, if I were in your shoes I would polish anyway

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
    So a high end local installer using Xpel Ultimate Plus told me they don't need to remove the ceramic coating, they will just "adjust the adhesion" to make it more sticky to the paint, that is interesting to hear and I am not all too sure about that. I was going to use Sonax Perfect Finish to take it off myself.
    You don't need to remove it. There's lots of debate, and everyone has an opinion, but I've been working with PPF for over 25 years and doing ceramic coatings for a long while too. No need to "remove them" The activator and adhesive on most films will bond just fine. Ceramic actually makes removal with steam down the road a lot easier.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes dgage, dlc95 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a lil late...but I'll throw my personal experience in.

New truck June 2022. Full decon,clay,polish...Optimum Gloss coat. Month later had Llumar Platinum series PPF applied to my bumper. No wash for 7 days....then hand wash for two more weeks...since have been using drive thru wash.(I dont need a sermon on this) Now 6 months later PPF is coming off. Went back to the dealer...owner said their ppf was ceramic friendly and shouldnt be an issue...then installer said ppf and ceramic is a bad mix. 10 yr warranty so no problem with that. But I am going to polish off coating before reinstall.

I plan to use Sonax cut and finish...if anyone has any comments on .....will the Sonax remove the OGC? Or any other additional steps needed to remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sippy2 View Post

New truck June 2022. Full decon,clay,polish...Optimum Gloss coat. Month later had Llumar Platinum series PPF applied to my bumper. No wash for 7 days....then hand wash for two more weeks...since have been using drive thru wash.(I dont need a sermon on this) Now 6 months later PPF is coming off. Went back to the dealer...owner said their ppf was ceramic friendly and shouldnt be an issue...then installer said ppf and ceramic is a bad mix. 10 yr warranty so no problem with that. But I am going to polish off coating before reinstall.

I plan to use Sonax cut and finish...if anyone has any comments on .....will the Sonax remove the OGC? Or any other additional steps needed to remove the coating.
    Gloss Coat is not a strong coating. You can remove it polishing by hand if that gives you an indication of how easily it can be removed.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sippy - drive through as the brushes/large fabric things that flap or -touchless-
    In the definition of coming off, are you discussing the edges or the entire -sheet-

If touchless, it may be the pressure jet head that lifted the edges and then subsequent from there.

Post Thanks / Like

.then installer said ppf and ceramic is a bad mix.
    I would tend to trust the below information over whatever "installer" gave you that opinion. What are his credentials? The credentials of the member below are proven 1,000 times over..........

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    You don't need to remove it. There's lots of debate, and everyone has an opinion, but I've been working with PPF for over 25 years and doing ceramic coatings for a long while too. No need to "remove them" The activator and adhesive on most films will bond just fine. Ceramic actually makes removal with steam down the road a lot easier.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Gloss Coat is not a strong coating. You can remove it polishing by hand if that gives you an indication of how easily it can be removed.
    I remove CQUK3.0 by hand with Essence Removing the ceramic coating before PPF is applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast