autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Resuming a job the next day?

Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be enough time to do everything I want to do the day I start a project i.e. my personal vehicle. It's probably a mix of old age (mine) and OCD, but too many times I find myself having to cut something short and say "I'll do that first, next time". When I clean I tend to obsess and spend way too much time on 1 area. If I was to be a little more structured I know I could knock it all out in 1 day, but that's just not me.

I'd really like to resume the following day but I find myself thinking about all the dust and debris that fell on the paint while the car was sitting in the garage overnight and worry about jumping right back in where I left off.

What would you suggest and how do you tackle a 2 day job? I was thinking that I should attack the paint first and then move onto the widows and other exterior crevices the following day followed up by the interior wipe down and wheel dressing? But what if I'm not able to complete my wax/cleaner process in 1 day? Is it ok to wipe down the exterior with a damp MF towel and resume where I left off?

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resuming a job the next day?

I have done multiple day jobs and continue to do them. Most times for customers.

I use Optimum No Rinse to wipe down panels before continuing any machine work.

Having said that as a quick response, I've also inventoried my movements and processes to refine some efficiencies.

4. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I have done multiple day jobs and continue to do them. Most times for customers.

I use Optimum No Rinse to wipe down panels before continuing any machine work.

Having said that as a quick response, I've also inventoried my movements and processes to refine sone efficiencies.

Trust me, I understand the efficiency issue with myself. I don't let it get to me too much since I'm not a pro and doing other people's cars, or usually in any particular hurry. But still, I really need to clamp down and refine my process.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't finish even a small vehicle in a day anymore either, especially since I destroyed my dominant shoulder

I also don't apply coatings, just sealants/waxes, so I will completely correct/polish a panel, wipe it down with a panel wipe, and get my preferred sealant/wax etc applied and buffed out, and move on to the next panel

When I get back to the car to resume working I do a rinseless wipe as well on each panel before I start machine work

I plan on trying Can Coat this next year but even that will probably be a few panels at a time rather than trying to get the whole car done in one go

I know my process is inefficient as hell but it is just my cars and now that I am back home it will be family cars as well but still, they get them when they get them

7. Likes bill walsh, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm going to do a full detail on a vehicle, I almost always break it up into 1.5-ish days of work. Depending on when I start the job, I find that either the threat of running out of time, or simply getting tired/bored from doing the work leads to a point where I get sloppy and start making dumb mistakes.

I have two approaches based on how much time I have on hand and when I start.

#1 Afternoon start with a whole day following
    - Day 1 (just a few hours): Wash/Clay/Decon/de-bug, little stuff like polish tailpipes. If time allows, start polishing
    - Day 2: Polish, apply LSP

#2 Full day start
    - Day 1: Wash/Clay/Decon/de-bug, polish
    - Day 2: Apply LSP, little stuff like polish tailpipes, trim etc.

I actually like #2 better because I take my time on both days and it's a more relaxed pace. However, life and commitments rarely allow it to work that way.

As for leaving the car in the garage over night, I've never found it to really accumulate any real dust in the 10~12 hours it sits. At least not enough to warrant having to re-wash the car or do a waterless wipe down of some sort.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely finish a job in a single day. My garage is very clean, so I don't worry about dust settling during the off time, although if I feel any pre-restart cleaning/dusting is necessary I'll usually just give it a quick once over with a California Car Duster.

11. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done "two-dayers" a lot.

One thing I find helpful is that I always start with my roof, then hood second.

So even if I call it a day after those two, all of the horizontal panels are done. (Pick-up truck, no deck lid).

Then, I'll just quickly hit the vertical panels the next day with QD before firing up the polisher again.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely spend 2 days on 1 car but when I do I do nothing but pick up where I left off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I rarely spend 2 days on 1 car but when I do I do nothing but pick up where I left off.
    That Memphis BBQ must be what makes you such an out of control wild man, Flash-o-Rama.....

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    That Memphis BBQ must be what makes you such an out of control wild man, Flash-o-Rama.....

Funny! I ate a bbq sammich for lunch today! Memphis without a doubt has the best bbq in this world

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.