autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resuming a job the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    With that AK road film i would look into coatings. Not that much harder than applying a sealant nowadays.

I am nothing close to a pro and was pretty intimidated my 1st time coating. Was my 1st time polishing too. Was pretty easy and only had 1 high spot that I lived with. I named him Steve.

With things like CanCoat and CP lite that wipe on and wipe off. Will give you a true year. Perfect for that weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am absolutely with you on this one and AT LEAST will have can coat on the little car before I head into another winter

I KNOW my current battle with road mung would be so much easier if there was a good base coat of something durable on my car

Having a completely sealed and clean garage without volcanic dust, gecko crap, etc raining down on me as I work is going to make all the difference in the world as to how I approach detailing

A large part of my "1 panel at a time" approach over the last 4 years was because the ceiling of my 2 car garage in Hawaii was only half sealed from the elements (long story) and even in the garage just drying and waxing/sealing could get dicey when it was blowing outside, which was a good 75% of the time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I will go a step further and (at least in my case) blame a portion of my need for extended time on the design of many newer vehicles....

Having a 5-6", 3", and 1-2" machine all laid out and ready to go is almost essential these days to cope with it all
    Totally agree. I can plow though a slab sided SUV faster an an intracate design on a smaller car.

The main reason I own a 3" polisher is to deal with those odd sized panel areas...that and lower front facia/air duct openings.

Even the more simply, flowing design of my cars necessitate a small polisher. I can't imagine what it's like working on some of the edgier car designs coming out of Asia these days and whatever BMW seems to be up to.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I also don't apply coatings, just sealants/waxes, so I will completely correct/polish a panel, wipe it down with a panel wipe, and get my preferred sealant/wax etc applied and buffed out, and move on to the next panel

I know my process is inefficient as hell but it is just my cars and now that I am back home it will be family cars as well but still, they get them when they get them
    This is how I started doing my vehicles as well. Polish and protect one panel at a time. Makes picking up where I left off the next day much easier, I feel. And, like you, it is just my vehicles.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

5. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is par for the course for me. Wether at work or here at home. Especially for those really heavy correction jobs where I might need more time.

My remedy is a mist and wipe with ONR, and I'm good to go.

7. Likes chilly, Texchappy, Bosko, opie liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.