autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question Damage free wheel removal - no marring sockets

I've seen videos of people removing wheels on high-end cars and the sockets they use appear to have some sort of coating around the outside of the socket to prevent marring or scratching of the wheel. Are these actually a thing or are they just being dipped in a coating (DIY)? I'd really like to get at least one for my car since I have very black and very shiny wheels that aren't going to look too good with a big silver gouge along the barrel of the lug nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Damage free wheel removal - no marring sockets

Nevermind. I should have searched Google first for "non marring lugnut sockets". It appears they are a thing and I can buy them locally. D'oh!

3. Likes Texchappy, bbmach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be careful and you won't need to waste money on these sockets. Try wrapping some tape around your standard sockets if your that concerned.

I have gloss black wheels on the Durango and when I need to remove the wheels I just take special care on how I remove the lug nuts. I do this for all our vehicles.

You ever play the game "Operation"? You know...where you have to be careful of not touching the sides or the buzzer goes off? Yeah same thing, lol. Don't touch the sides of the wheel lug hole.

5. Likes oneheadlite, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never had an issue with marring/scratching on the outside of the socket/inside of the lug nut barrel, but there is an issue with the lug nut itself. What I've done there to minimize damage to the lug nut is take a piece of of heavy plastic sheeting (4 or 6 mil) and place it over the lug nut before installing the socket. It does help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Just be careful and you won't need to waste money on these sockets. Try wrapping some tape around your standard sockets if your that concerned.

I have gloss black wheels on the Durango and when I need to remove the wheels I just take special care on how I remove the lug nuts. I do this for all our vehicles.

You ever play the game "Operation"? You know...where you have to be careful of not touching the sides or the buzzer goes off? Yeah same thing, lol. Don't touch the sides of the wheel lug hole.
    This. I work on cars for a living, and pride myself on being one of a rare breed that operates at Autogeek level regarding care and thought for peoples cars.

No matter what fancy socket you have, any spinning thing that makes contact with the lug recess stands to scratch it.

Full confession - I have one of the "non marring" sockets - I took the plastic jacket off it, and now you have an impact rated 1/2 (drive) socket with the about the outside clearance of a 3/8 (drive) thinwall socket. I virtually never use it any more. Most of the time if I have limited clearance, I use a deep 3/8" drive socket and a 1/2 adapter.

One other bit of advice - make sure when you're removing wheels you don't let the wheel cant as you're loosening the last lug, or you run the risk of your socket rubbing against the recess.

8. Likes PaulMys, John U, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason I bought two is convenience . I open the drawer, I only have two to choose from. They are labeled to cheat.
    Biggest reason I like the longer length is to pull them off the friction ring on the impact without using a screwdriver.