autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help new car POLISHANGEL Glasscoat Cosmic V2 Coating

I got a new car and the dealer installed dupont protection not sure if it's a "true coating" or a type of sealant. Any way I have been using POLISHANGEL Glasscoat Cosmic V2 Coating on my cars. Is it ok to use this over the dupont? Will it bond without removing the dupont? If it will not work I can just use my cosmic spritz as that works with everything in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help new car POLISHANGEL Glasscoat Cosmic V2 Coating

I wouldn't on a "Coating" on anything than a clean surface...bare clear coat

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on my experiences, I don't have much if any faith in dealership "applied coatings".

My good friend and bassist bought a 2022 BMW M3 and they told him it had a ceramic coating that they had a $3000.00 price tag on it.

When he brought it to the shop for PPF and tint, a bird nailed it in the parking lot.

The time it took for him to pick up his Macan, hang with us a bit and head out the droppings etched the paint. It was maybe 20 minutes.

To me, it didn't look like there was any coating on the vehicle. There was something, but jot a coating. Maybe a wax or spray sealant, because something was on there.

So while it was in the shop, after hours I polished it with Hyper Polish and coated with Gloss Coat.

It may not be the case with you, and if it's not, a decon process would probably set you up for your choice of protection either way.

Wash, iron remover, dry, panel wipe, apply your coat. If it's what Joe had on his M3, that process would likely remove whatever the stealership applied, or clean the coating to the point you could apply yours.

5. Likes CleanIT, luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    that process would likely remove whatever the stealership applied,

7. Likes dlc95, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    I got a new car and the dealer installed dupont protection not sure if it's a "true coating" or a type of sealant. Any way I have been using POLISHANGEL Glasscoat Cosmic V2 Coating on my cars. Is it ok to use this over the dupont? Will it bond without removing the dupont? If it will not work I can just use my cosmic spritz as that works with everything in my experience.
    All dealers do is sell a product that is simply a profit area within the F&I office underwritten by a 3rd party "warranty" Typically, they are not much of any type of real protection. Simonize, Jax Wax, and several others cater to that market with a Meh level quality product at best.

I grew up in the car biz and nothing here has changed since the 80's when we sold Acid Rain Protection Packages, etc.

IMO treat the car like it has nothing more than a basic sealant on it. Unless you SAW them in process, which is rare, apply a true coating then it's not. Esoteric for example, right near me, contracts with Germain to do a lot of their higher end cars and actually DOES apply and put the car through a full ceramic process and more but it's also reflected in the price. If what you have is simply a $500-700 dealer "add-on" then you paid for a warranty, nothing more. It's very doubtful they outsourced it to be done by a reputable shop.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Likes Bosko, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the price and quality of PA products - or any product/company for that matter - myself I go by the instructions, I want the best possible results and want it to last. I would polish to bare clean paint before V2. Or if time isn't working for you at the moment - maybe winter is too close in your area - I would leave the V2 on the shelf and just top the car for now until time works for you again.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have enough time to tell you about the garbage the stealerships sell customers as I have first hand exp. with the whole process. I do think you have made a fantastic choice with the cosmic V2 with maintenance being done with the cosmic spritz- dont let anyone talk you out of it. As far as application goes, I like to be on the conservative side ( bet nobody here would guess that ) and would most likely do a polish first. But if you cant or for what ever reason wont polish-- see how the surfaces ( esp. the horizontal ) react to a few things-- how does water react on the clean surface?
    How does it feel? Use your exp. on what you know on when your surfaces are needing protection.

Again-- great choice on the V2 & spritz!!-- & let us know what you end up doing-- update us
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

12. Likes dlc95, Coatingsarecrack, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I don't have enough time to tell you about the garbage the stealerships sell customers as I have first hand exp. with the whole process. I do think you have made a fantastic choice with the cosmic V2 with maintenance being done with the cosmic spritz- dont let anyone talk you out of it. As far as application goes, I like to be on the conservative side ( bet nobody here would guess that ) and would most likely do a polish first. But if you cant or for what ever reason wont polish-- see how the surfaces ( esp. the horizontal ) react to a few things-- how does water react on the clean surface?
    How does it feel? Use your exp. on what you know on when your surfaces are needing protection.

Again-- great choice on the V2 & spritz!!-- & let us know what you end up doing-- update us
    I would give her a light polish and get at it. Agreed… PA products are wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

if I dont strip off what the dealer put on and put on the glass coat over top will it not bond? The dealer used DuPont, not even sure what it is a sealant or "coating"

Post Thanks / Like

As expensive as these products are- as noted in the previous post-- do a polish with a mild abrasive-- something "like" M205
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast