autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlights, wet sand then polish, or cutting compound?

If this is your personal vehicle, I'd skip using a coating and use a clear paint for plastic. I tried some clear wheel paint and it started flaking off after about 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    When I used the Griots kit, I found I didn't spend enough time with the 2000 and the 3000. Somewhere in the instructions, either with the kit or the video, there is mention of the heavy (1000?) grit stage is the one you should spend the most time on to remove the hazing and discoloration. After going through the process, I'd respectfully agree. Spending a lot more time with the 2000 and 3000 grit stages are really where you find perfection.

I have a couple areas, just like what you picture. Fortunately, they are on a car that's old and spends it's whole life outdoors. Perfection was not the goal, clarity of the lenses and improved headlight performance was, and I got that...though it does have some sanding marks visible.

I spent some time today starting from the scratch. (Talking about the Cerakote headlight coating kit)

So I went with 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500 - 3000

I believe that the last step with 3000 is very important as that's where one needs to remove all the scratches inflicted by more aggressive sanding during the previous steps.

Lots of elbow grease is needed, and also uniformity on the surface.

Corners are easy to miss so pay extra attention.

All in all the Cerakote headlight coating is not a miracle product as many tend to believe, but not bad at the same time.

It depends how bad the lights are, so certainly it can improve a lot, providing one invests a descent amount of time.

But, the light can not look 100% and brand new although I'd rate Cerakote headlight coating can come close to 80 - 85%.

I can talk durability in couple years time, providing I still have this car, which I doubt.

Also, one wipe from the last step (the UV coating) is sufficient for both front lights + rear lights + small fog lights. Yes, there is plenty in one wipe (the smell is atrocious, deadly, unbearable ).
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Just like with paint....do a test spot.

I teamed up recently with another detailer on a job. I noticed the headlights were foggy, as did he. he asked if we were going to do them. I said, "if we have time" - thinking sanding was needed.

He's a young and eager guy. He is also VERY happy with the M105 bottles I gave him. He felt it might be enough to do the job.

Sure enough, i was blown away with the results from the simple method he used, and it only took minutes. M105 on an older Griot's MF 3" pad.
    Rotary or orbital?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123