autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX not doing anything | defective???

^^ I actually enjoy claying. I can't believe the amount of crap that was on my bonnet yesterday! It was only about a year ago and it was fully prepped. Another reason not to bother with high solid coatings. Cancoat is a piece of cake.

2. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    ^^ I actually enjoy claying. I can't believe the amount of crap that was on my bonnet yesterday! It was only about a year ago and it was fully prepped. Another reason not to bother with high solid coatings. Cancoat is a piece of cake.
    I love claying too.

And you say there was a ton of contaminants removed from your hood yesterday with the claybar? What kind of protection did you apply just after the last time you clayed it 1yr. ago? Cancoat?

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always read these threads just to see what the current thinking is and over the years I have had a few thoughts, although none of them are really original

This drawing of iron fallout particles imbedded in clearcoat was stolen off YouTube and belongs to Brian at Apex

I have seen essentially the same graphic drawn by many other detailers over the years

It would be amazing and incredibly informative if some science wizard out there could actually take a microscopic cross section picture of brake/rail dust on clearcoat and show us what is really going on, but I’m not holding my breath on that one

Anyway I guess the theory behind these pictures is that the brake dust is so hot that it literally melts itself into the clear coat, I’m not sure how it could get imbedded otherwise unless the force of washing pushed it into the paint

If you assume that the picture is more or less accurate then the idea of simply “pulling” iron particles out with clay WITHOUT hitting the fallout with an iron remover first seems less likely to be successful due to the jagged nature of the particles and even more so if the theory that it melts into the clearcoat is true

It would seem that the pro iron remover theory is that the iron remover goes down into the void and dissolves enough of the “root” of the particles so that either the particles come out with the rinsing process or are loosened enough to then be pulled out by the claying process

I respect the experiments that have been done to support both sides of the argument and I think like so many other processes we argue over that this is a one size does NOT fit all situation and each vehicle we approach needs to be evaluated and treated accordingly

I also feel that people who think that because THEIR car has ceramic discs or pads and therefore are immune to iron residue need to realize just how many different ways their ride can be exposed to iron and should at least test the more likely areas of their car for fallout

I don’t ever just assume a car is contaminated and hose it down with iron remover, I test first; it’s no different to me than a test spot when correcting paint

If I find contamination in the likely areas I’ll go further forward and test rocker panels and behind fender cutouts and see how bad it is and act accordingly and if I find iron I use a combination of spray remover and clay (not at the same time) because in all likelihood I am going to clay anyway

I’m a hobbyist so it’s not about time and working against a clock and as others have said I actually enjoy claying and get a kick out of seeing just how much garbage gets pulled out of a “clean” car's paint

As always, YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post

This drawing of iron fallout particles imbedded in clearcoat was stolen off YouTube and belongs to Brian at Apex
    1st time I’ve seen that drawing or anything like that representing iron deposits on paint. I personally find that theory hard to believe simply based on the fact that synthetic clay can in fact remove iron deposits, it may be harder to accomplish, but anyone who’s used a claymitt on a white vehicle knows it can be done and you can actually see when you’ve finally removed those stubborn iron particles off the paint… But if synthetic clay “shaves” contaminants off the surface, how could that physically happen if we’re to believe that drawing that the iron deposits are somehow halfways beneath the clearcoat? How could synthetic clay “shave” iron deposits from under the clearcoat while leaving the clearcoat completely fine?

I’d have to hear it from an actual scientist and last time I checked Bryan from Apex doesn’t wear a white coat. It’s also the 1st time I’ve heard anything about melting into the clearcoat but hey I haven’t been paying THAT much attention lately, but alot of that seems far fetched to me. Makes me want to call some sources now.IronX not doing anything | defective???

8. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    1st time I’ve seen that drawing or anything like that representing iron deposits on paint. I personally find that theory hard to believe simply based on the fact that synthetic clay can in fact remove iron deposits, it may be harder to accomplish, but anyone who’s used a claymitt on a white vehicle knows it can be done and you can actually see when you’ve finally removed those stubborn iron particles off the paint… But if synthetic clay “shaves” contaminants off the surface, how could that physically happen if we’re to believe that drawing that the iron deposits are somehow halfways beneath the clearcoat? How could synthetic clay “shave” iron deposits from under the clearcoat while leaving the clearcoat completely fine?

I’d have to hear it from an actual scientist and last time I checked Bryan from Apex doesn’t wear a white coat. It’s also the 1st time I’ve heard anything about melting into the clearcoat but hey I haven’t been paying THAT much attention lately, but alot of that seems far fetched to me. Makes me want to call some sources now.IronX not doing anything | defective???
    Oh I am not disagreeing with anything you say

There was a big IF in there

lol

No, Brian doesn’t wear a white coat

I have seen Larry Kosilla draw a very similar picture as well as others over the years

Nope, they probably don’t have PHDs either

That’s one reason I said an actual microscopic study would be amazing

I don’t know if any of the people who think that way are right or wrong

That’s one reason I hedge my bets and hit fallout from 2 directions

I respect your experimentation and your results

Peace

10. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forensic Detailing once got the microscope out in order to examine the effects that the claybar has on the paint. I can’t completely remember what his conclusion was because it’s been a while, but I give him props for his effort there.

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess this topic has so many facets that there isn't any single discussion/argument that can take it all in and you have to TRY and think about it logically and take the thought process one step at a time

Honestly I would bet any theories, questions, or arguments I could bring up have been brought up before so there is no need to dredge it all up again

Like so many other topics maybe the best thing is agree to disagree (not saying I disagree with you) and call it a day

I just finished my morning walk and today IS national coffee day so I am doing my part to celebrate and I have a second pot brewing

I am also hoping I get notification early enough that my packages of detailing stuffs are ready to pick up at the post office before it closes at 1:00 and I can get the boss saddled up to drive the 61 miles to pick them up

Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    CanCoat is not as much as a true coating but it’s roughly around 25% solid. Most sealants are less than 5

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Circling back to the observation of IronX not showing a dramatic or obvious reaction, a lot of this will come down to vehicle use, storage and maintenance.

For example, my Mustang is not a daily driver, never sees a wet road, is stored in a garage and maintained ruthlessly. Using IronX prior to polishing, there was little to no iron reaction from the product -

On the other side of the story, this Subaru Forrester is used on all road surfaces, is parked outdoors 24/7, is washed infrequently and has minimal to no LSP applied. The result from an iron remover is far more obvious -

So, it's likely the car in question was largely iron free. I still think it's worthwhile doing the iron-decon a worthwhile step even if the reaction is minimal, that just means you are doing a good job of maintenance.

17. Likes chilly, opie, Rsurfer liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I love claying too.

And you say there was a ton of contaminants removed from your hood yesterday with the claybar? What kind of protection did you apply just after the last time you clayed it 1yr. ago? Cancoat?
    I had Nv EVO on the hood with a couple polish angel high gloss top ups. It didn't last a year. I think it was still there but it was very flat.

Weather here sucks so i really don't maintain my car very well - Newfoundland, Canada.

Maintenance really is key. I don't think you will get long for any coating if you don't wash it at least 2x per month.

Probably preaching to the choir lol just thinking out loud.

edit: I applied my coating outside too. It's a nightmare, i wouldn't suggest it to people like me - driveway detailers. If cancoat lasts even 6mths i will be happy, i will just give her another quick polish with gyeon primer. The amount of claying i've done the last few days has convinced me my car needs to be clayed at least 1x per year anyhow. And i love polishing...so i'm done with these high solid multi year coatings!

I had a great few days polishing the horizontal surfaces of my car. With sonax perfect finish and gyeon primer. My style this year has changed. I will do 1 full panel/large section now before i wipe down the polish residue - much more relaxing and focus for me. With both perfect finish and primer you only need a nice dry towel. Oily polishes a rag soaked in N914 works great.

thinking out loud lol

19. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast