autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX not doing anything | defective???

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Meguiar's makes a wheel cleaner that a lot of people use to iron decon paint and it is normally available at almost any name brand parts store

I have used it on my Lexus and had no issues

Search youtube for the exact item
    Yup, that’s what I use. It’s effective and inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I agree, even the lemon scent stinks. If you have deeply embedded iron particles in your clear coat..clay will only shear it off and not remove it completely. You will need to dissolve it with an iron remover.
    Synthetic Clay*

Claybar doesn’t shear, it grabs, picks up, and removes contaminants off the surface.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yup, that’s what I use. It’s effective and inexpensive.

Synthetic Clay*

Claybar doesn’t shear, it grabs, picks up, and removes contaminants off the surface.
    If the iron particles are below the clear coat, clay will not grab and pick it up. Contaminants off the surface, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

IronX not doing anything | defective???

[QUOTE=Rsurfer;1754633]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    So I believe the date is printed how it is in Korea. They go year/month/day.

If correct would expire June 20th 2025.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTEHaven't seen anything from Car Pro with an expiration date of 3 years. It's day, month and year, unless they changed it recently. I don't even think they use the labels anymore. The date is printed on the bottom of the label.
    Yeah I Could be wrong just speculating. Korean company, Korean dating? Also from reading these are production dates and not expiration dates since 2020 I believe.

Lastly about iron X from Avi in am older forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, even the lemon scent stinks. If you have deeply embedded iron particles in your clear coat..clay will only shear it off and not remove it completely. You will need to dissolve it with an iron remover.
    Interesting theory....i don't think i'll be using it much anymore only on wheels actually. I think clay is way more effective and it's enjoyable to me.

Post Thanks / Like

If the iron particles are below the clear coat, clay will not grab and pick it up. Contaminants off the surface, yes.
    All contaminants including Iron particles are above the clearcoat aka above surface contaminants. The only thing that’s ever “below surface” are defects such as scratches. If contaminants such as iron particles were to make it through your clearcoat you wouldn’t be able to fix it and you’d need a new paintjob because your clearcoat would be fubar.

7. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my opinion...

Like I said in my earlier post, claying will remove all "bonded" surface contaminants, including iron particles. Provided that assumption is correct, and I believe it is, an iron removing chemical is not an absolute necessary. Here's a link to a thread by Eldo where he did a 50/50 test that illustrates that point quite clearly. Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test

That is not to say that iron removers do not work or are not sometimes desired, but it does provide evidence that they are not always absolutely necessary.

I don't buy into the premise that iron particles are so deeply embedded into the surface that they will not be completely removed during claying and an iron removing chemical is necessary to completely remove them. They are just like any other contaminant that has "stuck" to the surface and will be removed during claying.

One could actually take this question a step further and challenge the need for pre-polish decontamination, chemical or mechanical, at all, especially during multi-step correction processes. I propose that compounding and polishing will remove the majority, if not all, of any "bonded" contaminants.

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Eldorado2k, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

One could actually take this question a step further and challenge the need for pre-polish decontamination, chemical or mechanical, at all, especially during multi-step correction processes. I propose that compounding and polishing will remove the majority, if not all, of any "bonded" contaminants.
    I like and agree with your post except for this last part… Many years ago when I 1st really got back into detailing I attended the couple of classes offered by Meguiars at their headquarters in Irvine CA. Mike Stoops was the instructor for the 1st class and 1 of the questions I asked was if the claybar was really necessary if they were going to perform a heavy compound/polish steps, wouldn’t the compound remove the contaminants in 1 aggressive step? His reply? Mmm… No, you still have to claybar. 1 of his reasons why included a much harder user experience during the machine polish. His reasoning for why the contaminants would survive through the machine compound/polish was a bit less convincing to me [probably because it’s just simply hard to explain how and why] but he definitely stuck to those guns when he said the contaminants would survive an aggressive compound.

Not too long after that while I was in the beginning days of detailing other people’s vehicles I ran into a situation where I ran out of clay as I was just getting started with building my stock full of detailing supplies and I figured it shouldn’t make That big of difference if I went ahead and skipped the claybar on that days job. That’s when I found out for myself that bonded contaminants do in fact survive a machine compound/polishing. Try it 1 day on a moderately contaminated vehicle.IronX not doing anything | defective???

11. Likes Bosko, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I like and agree with your post except for this last part… .IronX not doing anything | defective???
    I was posing that as a hypothetical. I'm sure it would be dependent on the type and severity of the contamination.

13. Likes PaulMys, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Claying would remove the Iron but I would think melting away iron and having less contamination would be beneficial.

Les contamination wiping across the paint that is embedded in clay, would use less clay, a little less work and more extra precautions.

Polishing and coating went just fine before iron removers and I agree it is a cost that didn’t have to be added.

I do believe it is better for clear coat preservation.

Cars dried just fine before drying aids but we still use them.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I agree that Claying would remove the Iron but I would think melting away iron and having less contamination would be beneficial.

Les contamination wiping across the paint that is embedded in clay, would use less clay, a little less work and more extra precautions.

Polishing and coating went just fine before iron removers and I agree it is a cost that didn’t have to be added.

I do believe it is better for clear coat preservation.

Cars dried just fine before drying aids but we still use them.

They’ll always be people who struggle or find it a chore to claybar their vehicle. For those people or those who are looking for a faster overall process to detail their vehicle, the iron remover might be just what they’re looking for.

17. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast