autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready for New Mustang Mach-E

Hello everyone,

Although still detailing my car regularly, I have not been on the forum for a while, and with a new Mach-E coming next month, I have a few questions regarding its detailing. For the new car detailing, I am planning on doing the following:

Wash: Wolfgang Auto Bathe / Uber Wheels / DP Total Exterior Cleaner (as needed)
    Decontamination: I have never used an Iron remover, and was looking at the BF Iron Remover Gel...yes? No? Is it too strong for a new car?
    Clay: Pinnacle clay and lube

Once there, I have to say I have never worked on a Ford paint. I am thinking of:
    - using Wolfgang FG on a white pad but should I look elsewhere?
    - I am out of sealant, I have a couple waxes (some old DP Carnauba, Some Pinnacle Souveran liquid). Should I look at either a new sealant or a ceramic coating? The car is also red, and I have no experience with LSP on this color

Last, I have never used a glass sealant: how important is that on a new car? I mean, do they really bring anything?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting ready for New Mustang Mach-E

Congrats on the soon to be new car. Very nice car as my best friend has one.

BF Iron Remover Gel should be perfect to remove iron deposits (rail dust) from the paint and wheels. Just don’t let it dry on the paint so do one section at a time.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is more of a cleaner wax, which means it has no abrasives and it is up to the pad to do the correcting. what you need really depends on the paint and one way to ensure the paint is looking it’s best coming off the lot is to NOT let the detailer clean it when it arrives but that isn’t always successful. You may want to pick a one step product though I’d forego protection so that rules out BF One Step. I might suggest Gyeon Primer with a couple of mild and moderate polishing pads.

And for protection, I’d recommend Gyeon CanCoat Evo as an easy and quick products to use that is a light coating. Unless you wanted to step up to a full coating such as CQuartz UK 3.0 or SiC (or both). Make sure to have a prep spray to remove the polishing oils.

Glass sealant isn’t needed to seal glass is it is a hard and dense product. Sealant is just used to make it easier to remove dirt and water during rain. And you need to be careful as some glass sealants cause smearing or wiper chatter issues on the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd skip the iron remover all together. I see that step as an optional one. The clay process will remove everything that the iron remover would, plus more.

As long as you do a thorough job at claying, the end result will be the same, whether you precede it with an iron remover or not.

Check out this thread... Claybar vs. Iron Remover 50/50 Test (autogeekonline.net)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is more of a cleaner wax
    Sorry, I meant Wolfgang TSR

NOT let the detailer clean it when it arrives
    I already asked the dealer...we shall see when it gets there

I might suggest Gyeon Primer with a couple of mild and moderate polishing pads.
    I have TSR and also a jewelling polish but the Gyeon Primer does all at once so less time.

And for protection, I’d recommend Gyeon CanCoat Evo as an easy and quick products to use that is a light coating. Unless you wanted to step up to a full coating such as CQuartz UK 3.0 or SiC (or both). Make sure to have a prep spray to remove the polishing oils.
    I will look into these. Being in the Northeast, and the car being a daily driver, I am leaning towards the full coating, but since I have never applied one, I need to do some research on even how these are applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Although it is good you are planning out your options, I suggest you first inspect the paint at time of delivery. My wife and I bought a new MME in July of this year. I asked the dealer not to wash or touch the paint. I was prepared to do a clay, iron remover, and polish myself. But, after I brought it home, I inspected the paint closely in direct sunlight. The paint was immaculate. I could not find a single blemish or microscratch anywhere. I also used the "plastic baggie" test and determined that the paint did not need any claying.

I decided to do a APC prewash using Optimum Power Clean, then washed the car, and applied Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax as my main protection. I plan on applying Cancoat Evo one of these weekends. But I was so impressed with the GG 3-in-1 that I am in no rush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tex View Post
    Hello everyone,

Although still detailing my car regularly, I have not been on the forum for a while, and with a new Mach-E coming next month, I have a few questions regarding its detailing. For the new car detailing, I am planning on doing the following:
    Congrats on the new purchase.

Wash: Wolfgang Auto Bathe / Uber Wheels / DP Total Exterior Cleaner (as needed)
    Decontamination: I have never used an Iron remover, and was looking at the BF Iron Remover Gel...yes? No? Is it too strong for a new car?
    Clay: Pinnacle clay and lube
    An iron remover is never a bad idea. They are all easy to use. Just be sure to accept the bad smell. Good time to purchase some with the current sale.

If you plan to clay be prepared to polish to remove clay marring.

Once there, I have to say I have never worked on a Ford paint. I am thinking of:
    - using Wolfgang FG on a white pad but should I look elsewhere?
    - I am out of sealant, I have a couple waxes (some old DP Carnauba, Some Pinnacle Souveran liquid). Should I look at either a new sealant or a ceramic coating? The car is also red, and I have no experience with LSP on this color
    Can't help you on the polish as I have never used any polishes from the Wolfgang line up. In most cases a polish with a polishing pad is a good start.

I would consider a coating. There are plenty of good options. With the current sale you have some options. The DR GR4 coating, Blackfire Pro Black Edition are easy to apply. If you are not ready to step up to a full coating then Gyeon CanCoat Evo is a good starting point.

Last, I have never used a glass sealant: how important is that on a new car? I mean, do they really bring anything?
    I always tend to use a glass coating of some sort. Not so much for the rain as Southern California is not known for rain. But it makes washing and cleaning a lot easier.

Good luck with what you choose.