autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unknown stains on PPF refuse to come out. Seem to be embedded in or under the film.

I have a 2011 CTSV that the previous owner had ceramic coated and had PPF put on the front of the car. The ceramic coating has likely worn off at this point though. However my problem is anywhere there is PPF, the car looks diseased. I live in SC and with how hot and humid it is here, I suspected it had to be some kind of waterspots that have been baked into the film especially since I have neglected to regularly was the car this summer after rains. So I bought some Chemical Guys Water Spot Removal and just now tried it. And it didn't even phase whatever this stuff is. The other options such as tree sap seem somewhat unlikely since the nearest tree line is about 30 feet from the car and the car has never been parked anywhere near any trees. Road tar is another possibility but I can't recall driving the car through any fresh asphalt in the last year either.
    https://i.imgur.com/uCv3YS8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zVes138.jpg

Again its only where the car has PPF that this stuff is at- even on the side mirror caps. Can someone tell me what the hell this tuff is and better yet what I can try to remove it? Its concerning because it seems to be between the film and the paint itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unknown stains on PPF refuse to come out. Seem to be embedded in or under the film.

How long ago was the PPF applied to your CTSV? Looking at the pictures it looks like mold is growing on or under your PPF film. I would contact the company who installed it and see if they offer a warranty.

At least the PPF film can be removed and can get new PPF film installed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unknown stains on PPF refuse to come out. Seem to be embedded in or under the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    How long ago was the PPF applied to your CTSV? Looking at the pictures it looks like mold is growing on or under your PPF film. I would contact the company who installed it and see if they offer a warranty.

At least the PPF film can be removed and can get new PPF film installed.
    I'm assuming it has been atleast 3 years and it was done out of state. I was hoping it wasn't something like mold but I didn't even think something like that was possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Modest View Post
    I'm assuming it has been atleast 3 years and it was done out of state. I was hoping it wasn't something like mold but I didn't even think something like that was possible.
    Still worth contacting the installer out of state to see if they offer a warranty against mold. Removing old PPF and reinstalling new PPF will get expensive. If they do not offer a warranty, you can contact a local PPF installer to see what they would charge to remove the old film. Good luck!