autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: RVs

Post Thanks / Like

RVs

After years of being asked to do RVs and refusing, I finaly gave in and booked an appointment for next week.

I have a few questions for those who do them on a regular basis.

1. How do you know if the RV has regular paint or gelcoat on it? I know gelcoat is common but I have never worked on a vehicle protected with that stuff.
    2. In the case of Gelcoat, what would be a good combo of pad and product to do a one step polishing with a rotary polisher? I obviously don't want to leave holograms on the paint. Can a cleaner wax be used or do you need something with more bite?
    3. Anything I need to know that will be much different from any other vehicle besides the size and paint type?

The client told me his paint is dull, so I am guessing he has a lot of oxydation on it. It's a 2017 Winabago on a Ford 350 frame from what he told me (Minnie Winnie).

Any help would be appreciated!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RVs

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    After years of being asked to do RVs and refusing, I finaly gave in and booked an appointment for next week.

I have a few questions for those who do them on a regular basis.

1. How do you know if the RV has regular paint or gelcoat on it? I know gelcoat is common but I have never worked on a vehicle protected with that stuff.
    2. In the case of Gelcoat, what would be a good combo of pad and product to do a one step polishing with a rotary polisher? I obviously don't want to leave holograms on the paint. Can a cleaner wax be used or do you need something with more bite?
    3. Anything I need to know that will be much different from any other vehicle besides the size and paint type?

The client told me his paint is dull, so I am guessing he has a lot of oxydation on it. It's a 2017 Winabago on a Ford 350 frame from what he told me (Minnie Winnie).

Any help would be appreciated!

I've had good luck lately with 3D Speed, and a Lake Country purple foamed wool pad. This combo with the Flex 3401 seems to get good results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wheeler View Post
    I've had good luck lately with 3D Speed, and a Lake Country purple foamed wool pad. This combo with the Flex 3401 seems to get good results.
    I am planning to use a Rotary, not a DA. Nice to know that a cleaner wax can work. Saving a step would be a great advantage on a long job like this. I don't know if I want to use wool as a single step on a rotary though, I feel it would leave holograms behind... not sure if it would do that on gelcoat (if it is gelcoat that is)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I am planning to use a Rotary, not a DA. Nice to know that a cleaner wax can work. Saving a step would be a great advantage on a long job like this. I don't know if I want to use wool as a single step on a rotary though, I feel it would leave holograms behind... not sure if it would do that on gelcoat (if it is gelcoat that is)
    I really like the Rupes Purple Wool and feel they finish down surprisingly well. There are pros and cons though. I can’t polish as long with a wool as I could with a foam as the fibers get matted down quicker. But if I have compressed air, I can clean out the wool pad quickly and better than a foam and continue. The wool also doesn’t load up like foam or get as hot as foam pads. Might be worth a test if you have them. With an RV and foam, you’ll go through many more pads than if you used wool pads with compressed air on an RV.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.