autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why 5.5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    6.5” Griots Boss pads are $2 extra compared to 5.5” pads. The microfiber pad is only $1 extra. So if you were to buy 5 it’s only $10 more.

Have you seen how much it costs to “upgrade” to a 5” backing plate for the G9? $75 dollars. This is the only option I could find on AG.

5 inch Griot?s Garage BOSS Pad Conversion Kit

Then there’s a 5” backing plate that fits the G21 priced at $40 dollars by itself but won’t fit the G9.

So much for saving money and not using the new pads it came with.
    Yes- I guess your right if he is only going to use it a time or two then get rid of it.

How about this for a novel Idea-- most of us use them for YEARS---add that up--- so much for saving money and using the pads it came with

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Yes- I guess your right if he is only going to use it a time or two then get rid of it.

How about this for a novel Idea-- most of us use them for YEARS---add that up--- so much for saving money and using the pads it came with
    I know it didn't come with near enough pads to do the whole truck. That is what got me on this subject. I hate to buy more 6.5 pads if I'm going to change to 5.5. My thought was that with advice from you good folks I could determine if the 5.5 would make a quality job any easier or more efficient.

I haven't even plugged the buffers in yet. I want to make sure I have everything I need before starting. In a previous thread you'all really helped with the items I need to get but searching them out for the best price is a challenge since I have never tried this. It appears to me that pads are going to be the hardest to choose. There are simply too many brands to choose from. What manufacturer produces the best quality? I have the Griot's buffers but I read a lot of good things about Lake Country.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    He mentioned nothing about costs except for the cost of some of the pad brushes. He purchased two machines so money can't be that tight for him. The cost of the larger pads is significantly higher and since any experienced detailer knows how many pads you need on a full size truck and the different grades , that is a good chunk of change. The benefits of cost savings and added correction power is worth the change, and its backed up by the majority of folks that make the said change.
    I'm retired but fortunate to not have to watch every penny. I usually want the best bang for my buck but as I get older, I obsess over it. Having said that, I will choose quality over the price but with some things I don't need the best. With this project, I know there will be a lot of work so I want the tools to do the best job possible. I tend to take good care of my "things" so I want good quality so that it lasts. You folks have something I don't, EXPERIENCE! You know what is good quality at a reasonable cost, I don't. If a pad brush makes the pads last longer, In the end I'm sure I'll come out ahead. Sometimes the "little" extras really help make the job easier and you do a better job. (For instance, I'm an ammunition re-loader. To reload, the basics will get you by but the little extras speed up the process and makes for a better product produced.)

Thanks again for you folks taking the time to help the (old) newbie out.

Post Thanks / Like

Why 5.5

Quote Originally Posted by Major2257 View Post
    What manufacturer produces the best quality? I have the Griot's buffers but I read a lot of good things about Lake Country.
    I love Lake Country pads. I have pads from Meguiars, Griots Garage, Rupes, Carpro, but the majority of my pads are and will continue to be from Lake Country. You can’t really go wrong with their flat foam pads, especially the Orange & Whites. You may want to pick up 1 or 2 yellows and maybe a black pad if you like to apply your lsp with the polisher.

Btw I use a Griots Boss G21 polisher and have both a 5” & 6” backing plate for it with dozens of pads in both sizes. For me it’s not a make or break situation what size pads I use and usually just go with whatever backing plate happens to be on the polisher at the time.

In the past 8yrs. I’ve had maybe 2 situations where I specifically made it a case to use 5” pads and the washer mod because I needed the extra cut. Every other time the 6.5” pads can handle anything the 5.5” pads can without even thinking out it.

As far as pads for the G8, the Lake Country Thinpros are good, but the lack of hole in the center tends to make them run hot on a small polisher and I’ve blown up several of those pads that way. The Griots Boss 3” pads have a hole in the center and they tend to hold up much better.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Major2257 View Post
    I'm retired but fortunate to not have to watch every penny. I usually want the best bang for my buck but as I get older, I obsess over it. Having said that, I will choose quality over the price but with some things I don't need the best. With this project, I know there will be a lot of work so I want the tools to do the best job possible. I tend to take good care of my "things" so I want good quality so that it lasts. You folks have something I don't, EXPERIENCE! You know what is good quality at a reasonable cost, I don't. If a pad brush makes the pads last longer, In the end I'm sure I'll come out ahead. Sometimes the "little" extras really help make the job easier and you do a better job. (For instance, I'm an ammunition re-loader. To reload, the basics will get you by but the little extras speed up the process and makes for a better product produced.)

Thanks again for you folks taking the time to help the (old) newbie out.
    My 2 cents on the topic, with the full disclaimer I'm but a mere enthusiast, not a professional.

As was mentioned earlier, I think the whole 5.5" conversion dates back to the Porter Cable days where the machine just didn't have the guts to work through the energy loss that took place with thick, larger diameter (6/6.5") pads. The work around was the thin 5.5" pads. I've had both the first gen Griot's Garage 6" machine (prior to the G9, the shorter throw 6" machines were referred to as GG6's) as well as a 3rd gen GG6. For these machines, I can confirm that they were easier to stall with the larger pad.

I sold my 3rd Gen GG6 to get the G9. I purchased the 5" vented plate (make sure to get the Griot's vented plate as it was designed for the machine) right away. Working on my wife's Q5, I started off with the thin BOSS 5.5" pads. Getting into more intricate areas, I was running into the pad slowing down a little, but not so much you couldn't work around it. As I went through the job and cycled through my pad inventory, I later switched to the 6.5" pad. I went back to that front fender, and was shocked to find that with the thick (Standard orange Griot's) 6.5" pad the G9 just kept it rotating right along.

Subsequent details confirmed that for tighter/smaller areas, ironically the larger thicker pad works better for me.

So, given your description of your situation, I feel like you'd be well served to invest a little up front and have both the 5.5" and 6.5" pads to play with. The one thing I can't speak towards is if on a flat surface the 5.5" thin pad is more efficient than a 6.5" pad (thick or thin, I have both options for both sizes). That goes back to just being a hobbyist and not putting that much mental energy into keeping tabs of exactly how many section passes which setup takes to get the same results.

Side note: The G8 is a great little machine as well. I really dig the quick connect electrical cords and the ability to switch between machines so easily without tripping over multiple cords.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the G9, I went with the smaller backing plate & pads because it was recommended on here - including by Mike Phillips.

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought the G9 I looked at my 2014 300C and it has many flat large areas and not many indents etc, so I bought 6" Buff & Shine pads to go with it. Only area that is a lil tough is beside the rear plates, but it almost fits in there. You have the G8 for smaller items so I'd stick with the 6" pads for your G9 and use the G8 for smaller thing/ares etc...

I did however, buy a 5" backing plate for a couple microfiber pads I got in case I run into something real tough to buff out, and I also use the 5" for doing glass with a rayon pad...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There really is no wrong way to go here.

The G9 has some serious BALLS. It can churn and burn any pads you choose to use.

That said, will the 6.5" pads cut your work time down considerably? Not really. But they will cover more area in one pass.

But since you have the G8 for small areas, It is really up to your personal preference.

And as for the LC pads........... I'm with Ric. LC Flats are my favorite pads by far.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 1