autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wipe on black dressing

My friend has a six year old Honda black Civic coupe, and the car is immaculate, he takes really good care of it but the sun has taken a toll on the rear trunk spoiler that is plastic, it is absolutely destroyed from the UV and turned all sorts of Blanche white… It needs to be repainted, or wrapped… And that’s gonna be a while because he is no longer working his job. So I wonder what type of wipe on black we could put on itThat would just make it not stand out so much… I don’t think mothers back to black will do it….All I can really come up is black plastidip after we tape it off, but I’m wondering if there’s something that would easily wipe on as a stopgap.

Thoughts?

Maybe this stuff?
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 06-28-2022 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Links
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wipe on black dressing

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    My friend has a six year old Honda black Civic coupe, and the car is immaculate, he takes really good care of it but the sun has taken a toll on the rear trunk spoiler that is plastic, it is absolutely destroyed from the UV and turned all sorts of Blanche white… It needs to be repainted, or wrapped… And that’s gonna be a while because he is no longer working his job. So I wonder what type of wipe on black we could put on itThat would just make it not stand out so much… I don’t think mothers back to black will do it….All I can really come up is black plastidip after we tape it off, but I’m wondering if there’s something that would easily wipe on as a stopgap.

Thoughts?

Maybe this stuff?

Amazon.com
    That 3D stuff has a lot of 5 star reviews..should work.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution finish with a trim sealant on it.

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

Could also try a trim coating but if it’s severely faded, the 1st option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would remove the spoiler, sand it down, primer, repaint, and clear . Contact an auto paint supply and they can usually put the paint in an aerosol can for easy application. May not be perfect, but it will look much better.

PlastiDip would also work as a cheap fix.

Good luck!

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Icarus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You missed my point. I’m looking for an absolute quick fix without taking off any spoiler or doing anything that is permanent. I have sanded, painted, cleared and renovated many pieces in my past, I’m not looking to do that at this time, I just want a topical quick fix until something can be done later in the year.

I also have plenty of 3M 1080 satin wrap available, but I don’t wanna do that at this time as it’s too hot down here to work on a car outside.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest would be to try Solution Finish initially and likely a few times every few weeks to restore the trim. Then I might use Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Coating to give it longer term protection. But there are no guarantees the trim will restore properly.

The only other idea I have is to use Plastidip but I don’t know how well that attaches to plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastidip would work fine, I’ve done that before and actually did a Honda Civic roof a few years ago because it’s cheap and effective when you’re not looking for ultimate gloss or showroom quality. The problem in this situation is exacerbated by the fact that the car is kept outside, florida UV constantly beating down on it so I’m not sure a trim coating will do it, I may have to resort to taping it off and using plastIdip. I think the best way is to try one of the deep black trim wipe ons discussed here, then move to plastidip or wrap.

Clearly, clearly the professional solution is to pull the part and do it right with primer/black/clear, but in the case of the civic, this is difficult because the spoiler is part of the entire Rear of the car, and requires a significant amount of labor to get the spoiler off the car.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

If its "Blanche white" like I'm thinking in spots, then the only thing to fix it will be a wrap or repaint.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·