autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinseless wash method?

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I understand that everyone has their own methods and techniques and there is "more than one way to skin a cat" but here is mine...

In my opinion, pretreating panels, multiple towels and/or dual buckets are not necessary for a safe, effective wash. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Don't overthink or overcomplicate the process as many do.

One wash mitt, one grit guard and one bucket with 3 gallons of water and rinseless solution is all you need as long as you follow some basic technique rules.

1. Do one panel at a time. It's easier this way and you don't have to worry about the solution drying on the paint if you cover wider areas.

2. Dedicate one side of the wash mitt for the initial pass. This picks up 95% of all surface dirt and applies the first layer of solution to the surface. Use LIGHT pressure (just enough to keep it flat and gliding). Cover the panel in one continuous motion (as if you were mowing the lawn) without ever allowing your wash mitt to touch the surfaces that you already wiped. The point of this first pass is to pick up (transfer) *most* of the surface dirt from the paint into your wash mitt in the least aggressive manner. Remember, trust the rinseless wash solution (assuming your using a good one).

3. Flip your wash mitt to the other side. This is a fresh clean side. Wipe down the panel again in the same continuous motion using light pressure again. This pass will remove the remaining dirt left (if any). There is also no concern at this point with moving your wash mitt over areas you've already wiped because there are no contaminants left on the paint to worry about scratching. It's basically clean.

4. Dunk the dirty side of the wash mitt (the side used for your initial pass) face down to the bottom of the bucket. With your hand, keep it pressed against the grit guard and slightly twist your wrist in a motion that grinds the mitt on the grit guard. This dislodges all the dirt from the wash mitt directly towards the bottom of the bucket and it keeps it trapped. The point of this is to immediately force the dirt to the bottom of the bucket rather than dislodging dirt at the top of the water, which risks these particles (as they are floating around) to adhere back onto the wash mitt as you dunk and lift it from the solution.

5. Use your favorite drying towel to dry the surface.

6. Move to next panel and repeat steps 2-5.
    I just can’t believe a grit gaurd traps it in the bottom. After a couple washes the dunking and twisting motion have to swirl it around the bucket.

Also no dirt comes off the mitt on the way down to the grit gaurd. Not doubting the outcome but I just can’t believe a mitt comes out of rinse bucket dirt free.

If i did attempt this method it would only Be with a DirtLock grit gaurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    My thinking exactly.

My RW buckets always have Grit Guards to keep the mitts/towels from lying on the bottom of the bucket.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any debris. But I don't live on theory.
    I just leave them in the bucket because just cuz I bought them.

4. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretreat with my SPTA cordless sprayer. I've gone to smaller 2 gallon buckets for rinseless washes and just make up the solution a gallon at a time. Then dry with a PFM.

6. Likes vobro, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I pretreat with my SPTA cordless sprayer. I've gone to smaller 2 gallon buckets for rinseless washes and just make up the solution a gallon at a time. Then dry with a PFM.
    This! I have to ask what is the benefit to leaving the solution for weeks or months? I just calculate the rinseless for a gallon of water and go

8. Likes glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5-gallon bucket grit guard with about 4 gallons of distilled water and N-194 with big red and yellow sponge. Bucket stays on my cart for when the wife come home her car gets a quick wash and a spritz of a drying aid. Replenish distilled water and solution as needed.

My K.I.S.S method

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I just can’t believe a grit gaurd traps it in the bottom. After a couple washes the dunking and twisting motion have to swirl it around the bucket.
    I don't dunk and swirl the mitt in the water. That's sort of a pointless act. I submerge it face down (dirty side) and place it firmly planted against the grit guard, then twist my wrist to dislodge the dirt by scrubbing it against the grate. This doesn't give a chance for any heavy dirt particles to float around near the top of the surface which could get trapped back into the mitt as you pull the mitt out of the water.

Also no dirt comes off the mitt on the way down to the grit gaurd. Not doubting the outcome but I just can’t believe a mitt comes out of rinse bucket dirt free.
    Believe it my friend. It works when done correctly. And the condition of my paint is the proof.

11. Likes The Guz, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For rinse less washing, I use a bucket with a grit guard and use a big red sponge and an ultra black sponge. The sponges work great as others have said.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    This! I have to ask what is the benefit to leaving the solution for weeks or months? I just calculate the rinseless for a gallon of water and go
    Honestly i just find it to be the most efficient way to do it. I have a really busy schedule between work and kids in sports, so when i have time to wash my truck, i like to make the most out of it. I can go straight to power washing the wheels and cleaning them with cleaners, then pressure washing the heavier spots of dirt off the truck and go straight into the rinseless wash. I have never had an issue with the solution losing lubrication, and if i see extra crap in the bottom at any point, i clean the MFs and swap out the solution.

14. Likes swanicyouth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how dirty the vehicle is.

I do a lot of "hybrid" washes, basically using my rinseless solution in place of soap. The gf's Jeep that stays in the garage, I can do a standard rinseless and be done with it. Nasty vehicles get a Power Clean presoak, power washed, and rinseless washed.

Wheels and tires can be wonky when rinseless washing though. I use a lot of Opti Clean on them. Again, the gf's Jeep is a great example. She has a blue Wrangler Sahara 4+E, the one with gloss black wheels. Those things scratch really easily. Probably wasn't a wise choice from the manufacturer to use such sensitive paint. I like to flush those off from loose dirt grains with ONR in a pump sprayer, then use Opti Clean to get a nice, well lubricated layer on before the contact wash.

I use separate buckets, each with a grit guard and wash solution.

On nice cars / maintenance washes I use the BRS. On cars that are getting corrected, or my old beat up rust bucket, I use that blue Lake Country sponge. That blue LC sponge is the exact shape and has the same cuts that the BRS does, but it's a lot harder and more textured than the BRS. BRS picks up more dirt from the surface, while the blue sponge can scrub more.

Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless wash method?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Love my 2 gallon bucket for rinseless. I go 1.5 gallon at a time. Save’s a lot of product mixing mixing it in 3.5 gallon buckets.

The full big bucket makes sense if you are doing two bucket and dunking wash media but in my 8-10 towel method I use to end up just dumping a lot of product.

I also like the 2gallon gamma seal lids so I can cap off and take to the spray and prays when I’m lazy.

If cars really dirty and I wanna be lazy I take a 3.5 gallon for wheels, wash in bay then take through touchless and then rinseless

17. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast