autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating after polishing headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Urmil View Post
    When I bought my car I immediately had PPF added to the headlights because a friend recommended it but I never bothered to ask why it's a good idea and how long the PPF will help with preventing oxidation from building on my headlights.

Can someone explain how PPF helps prevent headlights from oxidizing and how long PPF will last before needing to be reapplied. My goal is to keep my headlights from ever yellowing.

Thank you
    The idea for PPF on headlamps is that it does TWO things:

1) Partially block/absorb UV light.
    2) Prevent sandblasting of the headlamp (everyday driving wear and tear) which breaks down the hardcoat.

Both of these benefits extends the life of the original lamps hardcoat. You'll want to reapply new film probably every 12 months to ensure that it is fresh and optically clear but most importantly that it doesn't bond to the polycarbonate which would make it difficult to remove it in the future (like if you waited 2-3 years). It could potentially lift the original hardcoat off the surface in certain areas.

2. Likes dgage, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used laminar PPF on the headlights of a brand new Honda accord about four years ago, when I sold it it still looked great, but the PPF had dimples from stones so I pulled it off, no problem, I used GooGone and it came off clean.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are comfortably wet sanding …… I would try 2k clear coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I just don't love the idea of changing it every 12 months, lol, it is seems like a worthy investment so I'll certainly consider it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    The idea for PPF on headlamps is that it does TWO things:

1) Partially block/absorb UV light.
    2) Prevent sandblasting of the headlamp (everyday driving wear and tear) which breaks down the hardcoat.

Both of these benefits extends the life of the original lamps hardcoat. You'll want to reapply new film probably every 12 months to ensure that it is fresh and optically clear but most importantly that it doesn't bond to the polycarbonate which would make it difficult to remove it in the future (like if you waited 2-3 years). It could potentially lift the original hardcoat off the surface in certain areas.
    This makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I just don't love the idea of changing it every 12 months, lol, it seems like a worthy investment so I'll certainly consider it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urmil View Post
    This makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I just don't love the idea of changing it every 12 months, lol, it seems like a worthy investment so I'll certainly consider it.
    Think of it as a regular maintenance part like bulbs, brakes, wiper blades and tires. It's better than having to spend $500-$2000 for a pair of new headlamps (depending on vehicle).

Headlamps are safety devices though many people look at them as just cosmetic pieces. Those lenses need to be crystal clear as the day they came off the assembly line to be able to transmit *all* available light to the road for you to receive maximum lighting performance at night.

May I ask, how much did you pay to have PPF installed on your lamps?

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Think of it as a regular maintenance part like bulbs, brakes, wiper blades and tires. It's better than having to spend $500-$2000 for a pair of new headlamps (depending on vehicle).

Headlamps are safety devices though many people look at them as just cosmetic pieces. Those lenses need to be crystal clear as the day they came off the assembly line to be able to transmit *all* available light to the road for you to receive maximum lighting performance at night.

May I ask, how much did you pay to have PPF installed on your lamps?
    If I recall correctly, I believe I paid $140. I was looking online and I know they make pre-cut PPF for my cars headlights and it cost around $89 so I might consider trying to install the next set myself. If I wanted to go even cheaper, I can just buy a roll of PPF and cut it myself but I don't think I have enough experience to get the fitting right.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ppf is becoming more standard for me because a lot of the new designed lights are smaller and often recessed which makes it more difficult to polish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12