autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best "One Step" product

Thanks for the information everyone. I totally see your point about using a dedicated polish and then follow up with a sealant. Since it has been stored inside all of its life I don't think it will need compounding and polishing hence the "one step" thought. However, it sounds like I will want more protection than the one step provides. My lack of experience is exactly why I asked the question here. Thanks again to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I use either 3D Speed, Duragloss 101 Cleaner Polish, or Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax.

M06 and Speed are similar in defect removal / masking. But neither last as long as Duragloss 101. There have been times I've been very surprised at what 101 made look better, and the degree at which it did. I like black Buff and Shine pads and my Porter Cable 7424 xp at speeds 4-5. The abrasive in 101 is very fine. Bill told me is was a lot like the abrasives in the pastes dentists use to polish teeth. So, I work it in a way that will make most use of those abrasives before they diminish away. The protection approaches the level of 111, which is the longest lasting sealant I have ever used. 101 gives a great gloss to even white and other light color paints. 101 can be topped with 111 and / or Aquawax, and maintained with their Fast Clean & Shine detail spray.

M06 is so nice. It smells incredible, really deep cleans the paint and either removes or hides whatever defects are in the paint. The longevity lacks a but the trade off is a fast working, highly effective product. The Shine is beautiful, and slick. Like 101, it's an "ols school" product, but still can compete.

3D Speed. This stuff is a joy to use. I like that it behaves a lot like 3D One in that it allows for a long cycle time. That combined with 3D's non diminishing abrasives allows for better defect removal potential. I let it set on the paint for 15 minutes after I've applied it, and the water beads are small and tight. The treatment I gave a friend's car was holding up strong at the 1.5 month point. Another customer whose car I maintained, got Optimum Opti-Seal as a drying aide after an ONR wash. That thing looked great and cleaned up so easily. When removing Speed after application, the wipe off is almost rewarding. You get that ever so slight resistance, but the subsequent glide is something to experience.

An honorable mention goes to Optimum GPS for it's ease of use, and Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax. D301 Reminds me a bit of Speed.

3. Likes chilly, 97zman, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Going by your experience working with the products, the Uno Protect in particular, what about after the Rupes going over it with a quick wipe of Rupes P808?? On a not too bad of shape paint is it a good combo? Being that the 808 will go on quick, layering it with more protection that should work together????
    I do P808 over UNO Protect. It doesn't really take much more time and it does appear to impart a bit more gloss. Not sure how long the combo lasts as I've only done it on other's cars.

5. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

You're kind of defeating the purpose of a 'one step' by adding a sealant after. If you're effectively going over the entire vehicle twice, why not use a dedicated polish first, and then add your sealant?
    You're going over the vehicle twice either way. So, if something like Speed works to your satisfaction, then go for it I say.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I use either 3D Speed, Duragloss 101 Cleaner Polish, or Meguiar's M06 Cleaner Wax.

M06 and Speed are similar in defect removal / masking. But neither last as long as Duragloss 101. There have been times I've been very surprised at what 101 made look better, and the degree at which it did. I like black Buff and Shine pads and my Porter Cable 7424 xp at speeds 4-5. The abrasive in 101 is very fine. Bill told me is was a lot like the abrasives in the pastes dentists use to polish teeth. So, I work it in a way that will make most use of those abrasives before they diminish away. The protection approaches the level of 111, which is the longest lasting sealant I have ever used. 101 gives a great gloss to even white and other light color paints. 101 can be topped with 111 and / or Aquawax, and maintained with their Fast Clean & Shine detail spray.

M06 is so nice. It smells incredible, really deep cleans the paint and either removes or hides whatever defects are in the paint. The longevity lacks a but the trade off is a fast working, highly effective product. The Shine is beautiful, and slick. Like 101, it's an "ols school" product, but still can compete.

3D Speed. This stuff is a joy to use. I like that it behaves a lot like 3D One in that it allows for a long cycle time. That combined with 3D's non diminishing abrasives allows for better defect removal potential. I let it set on the paint for 15 minutes after I've applied it, and the water beads are small and tight. The treatment I gave a friend's car was holding up strong at the 1.5 month point. Another customer whose car I maintained, got Optimum Opti-Seal as a drying aide after an ONR wash. That thing looked great and cleaned up so easily. When removing Speed after application, the wipe off is almost rewarding. You get that ever so slight resistance, but the subsequent glide is something to experience.

An honorable mention goes to Optimum GPS for it's ease of use, and Meguiar's D301 Finishing Wax. D301 Reminds me a bit of Speed.
    Megs 06 was the first polish i ever bought. I haven't used it in 3 years and that was with the megs drill attachment.

Have you topped megs 06 with a wax? i have vic's mayhem wax at home too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Megs 06 was the first polish i ever bought. I haven't used it in 3 years and that was with the megs drill attachment.

Have you topped megs 06 with a wax? i have vic's mayhem wax at home too.
    Nah, not typically, but if I were to use a topper, I'd use Meguiar's M26 paste wax.

10. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally get the viewpoint of "Why do an All In One if you're chasing with a sealant?", but I can also see the value depending on what your goals are.

Yes, with a correction with compound/polish you're getting the purest results in likely the shortest time. But, if you've got a daily driver in good shape and you're just looking to clean it up and add some protection, I think an All In One is a fine option.

The biggest headache I get is from trying to figure out what LSP to recommend to "civilians" when they ask. Yes, I get all the benefits from all the Ceramic/Graphene offerings, but I'm worried about recommending something that's gonna be a water spot/bird bomb nightmare.

Last year I did a once over on my Wife's Mom's black Volvo V60. It had some spots where I had to do some actual paint correction (I used the Griot's BOSS creams), but for the final once over I used Blackfire One Step. I went over the whole car using it for correction, and left it on the panels to cure as I went. After applying it to the whole car, I took a page from a member here (Cruz's Car Wash) and sprayed a line of Sonax Polymer Net Sealant (PNS) on the panel I was buffing the residue off, adding a boost of protection. Car looked fantastic when I was done.

I got to do a maintenance wash on it some time later, and despite having gone through touchless car washes, it was holding up really well and didn't have any noteworthy water spotting. I used Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) on it as a drying aid to help the protection along.

My Wife's car is due for a refresh this summer, and I'm likely going to take this route with her car.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience 3D one is pretty good as a one step combine with a red pad or uro pads. However , I would just do a quick car pro essence with a car pro white pad after , one pass would be more than enough, one quick pass , it wont take longer than 1 hour, probably 30 minutes . Results would be on the next level

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to do my truck today with BF One Step. It does a nice job of correcting and leaves a couple months of protection. At the end of summer I use McKees Hi Def Sealant and that lasts through winter. When those are gone, I'll probably switch to can coat.

And then I looked at the radar. Going to have to wait for another day. I'd hate to have it rained on before it cures. The one step definitely feels different a day after it's applied.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect one step polish.

After watching a lot of comparative tests and reviews, my short list is :
    1. Angelwax Regenerate : Never tried it, could not find it in stock when I did my last 1 step product purchase
    2. Menzerna Medium Cut 2500 : The one I am currently using. Works well
    3. Shull S20 Black : Never tried

Otherwise I use Meguiars M205 in many cases. I love that product. Works well, easy to clean. Doesn't dust at all in normal circumstances.
    I also use CarPro Essense and Essence plus if the paint is in great condition and only needs a little help. Those products have a ton of gloss!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast